2014 Accent hatchback....does this car have a trans lock?

In other words, can it be shifted between reverse and drive quickly to rock the car to get out of snow. It's my wife's car, but I don't have it here to look at right now. Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

I'd have to look at one of the 2012 or newer ones to tell you for certain, but many models do required the brake pedal to be depressed and/or the wheels to not be turning to enable a shift into reverse.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I think this may be the case with the 2014. When I did try it, the car was so stuck I couldn't really even tell what was going on....I also didn't turn off the traction control at first before I realized I had to. Plenty of snow coming my way so I will test again....but I am pretty sure there is no way to go back and forth between reverse and drive and no lock release like on my Elantra GT(also 2014). Not good IMHO.

Reply to
jtees4

Seems like most cars today have an interlock of some sort to prevent accidental shifting into reverse or park. Best you can hope for is to get the car rocking by using the gas pedal off and on in one gear or the other.

Hope you have good tires too. The OEM on my Sonata were good on dry roads but terrible in snow, even light snow. Put a set of Nokian WR3 on the next winter and it made a huge difference.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think the tires are OK, but in reality I only have it for a couple of months and it really is more my wife's car. I drive a 2014 Elantra GT mostly, and it does have the little unlocking thing for the trans, as did my last three Elantras...07SE, 05GT, and 03GT. Oh well, I had a rental of the Accent and was so impressed that I decided to buy the new one instead of another Elantra. The car is a perfect fit for my wife, it runs generally very well. And it's a pretty red, and of course that's all that matters ;-)

Reply to
jtees4