23 hour non-stop road trip

Just took 23 hour road trip in my 06 Sonata LX with 30,000 miles on it. I have taken 5 or 6 trips in this car and it has performed flawless. I averaged 27.6 MPG this trip. I drove with the cruise set on 80 mph most of the time.(trip computer had average speed of 72) The best mpg I have ever averaged. Why would my average go up after two years?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

We al go down hill after a few years. Things are looser too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you've taken the same trip before, it may be a function of temperatures and fuel blends. If this is a different trip, it may be related more to topography. My highest fuel mileage ever in my last personal vehicle (1990 Ford Taurus 3.0) was driving across Ohio-- 29 MPG. Normal everyday driving was about 19.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Don't I know it!

Reply to
Rob

How did you manage to stay awake for 23 hours while driving ?? Surely you must have stopped a few times .. at least for coffee ???

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote in news:19434- snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3236.bay.webtv.net:

In my younger days I managed to drive from central NJ to Orlando, FL, only stopping a few times to water the shrubs. I brought a cooler full of drinks with me and a bunch of CD's to keep my awake. Mind you, it was 1985 or '86 and the CD player wasn't pretty....an old RCA portable unit with a power inverter and a spliced adapter to use it with my cassette deck.

Anyway, as I recall it was about 20 hours with traffic. And I did it after working an 8-hour midnight shift.

Now I have pretty much had enough driving after 6 hours or so. I prefer 4 though. Of course I could probably do much more than that without the kids :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Yes, I did the same from Ft Lauderdale to Indianapolis many times in the '80's. Leave Ft Laudedale after working 8 hour shift. About three CPG stops later and I was at the parents home (Coffee, Pee, Gas). If I even THINK about doing something like that now, I wet my pants...and unfortunately I can't claim it is from the laughter...sigh. ;-)

Reply to
D&SW

'In my younger days I managed to drive from central NJ to Orlando, FL, only stopping a few times to water the shrubs. I brought a cooler full of drinks with me and a bunch of CD's to keep my awake.'

REPLY: You would have made a great long distance Trucker , for sure. When i was 23 years old, i drove from Northern Illinois to Tucson, Arizona at the rate of 16 hours driving per day. I arrived in Tucson on the morning of the third day. I was so uptight , tense, ornery, and tired...that it took a good 3 days for me to recouperate . After 16 hours of driving back then, id have a headache , a sunburn on my face and neck, and was so wired that i couldnt get to sleep. I give you credit for doing it for a longer time than that.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote in news:29-4678865A- snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3235.bay.webtv.net:

I probably should have said that I did this because of a family emergency. I was motivated. To do it just for fun would have probably killed me :-) To do it as my job would definitely have killed me. I don't know how the OTR drivers do it. Especially the guys that get paid by the mile and have to sit in traffic half the day. Of course, there are many that would say the same about my day job too, but I love it. I guess there is a person for just about every job out there.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

And how did you get enough gas to run 23 hours non-stop? Sonata's have long range, but not that long! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

"Eric G." wrote in news:Xns9954C65BADE07Xz124HiiUdfEEE6@140.99.99.130:

Pulllleeeezzzzeeee, you haven't seen my AudioVox 8-Track to Cassette Converter :)

Reply to
The Chris

The Chris wrote in news:Xns9959CA5D54D5021740@

64.209.0.86:

Um, no, but I had one fo those too. Wasn't pretty at all. :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I just got back from yet another run from GA to Pa (700 miles) with my 06 GLS 4 cyl. I got 32.4 mpg on my car computer (which is within 0.1 mpg) with a running average of 66.7 mph according to my GPS. It has an automatic transmission. 2500 rpm at 71 mph.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I've done Bremerton Washington to Phila, Pa in 3 days when I was young and foolish. Never again!!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Like you in the early '70"s (was in my early 30's then) I use to drive from Cleveland (A south east suburb of Cleveland) to Orlando only stoping for food, gas and draining the vein. Same on the return. The wife never drove. I believe it might have been around 1100 miles and took round 17 -18 hours. Did that every year for almost 20 years. Always left on a friday evening around 7:00 to 8:00 pm after putting in a full day at work. If I recall we would get into Orlando the next day in the early afternoon. Last three years I drive from Cleveland to Dallas the same way. We leave Cleveland around noon and arrive in McKinney Tx. (a northern suburb of Dallas) the next morning around

8:00 am. This is about 1200 miles and takes about 20 hours. Usually we stop at a Cracker barrel for dinner but other than that, our only other stoping is for gas, take a leak and get a burger at a fast food place at the same time. Again the Mrs. sits like a queen, usually in the back seat stretched out. Same on the return. She never drives anywhere on trips. I have always preferred driving long trips at one time other than the necessary stops. One twenty hour stint at driving is miserable. Two 9 to 10 hours in the drivers seat is equally as miserable to me. So I prefer to get it over with as soon as possible. Now in my 60's and still giving it hell.
Reply to
Robert