240,000 2004/2005 Elantras Recalled

Search Results Report Date : September 15, 2005 at 06:33 PM SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE YEAR : 2004/2005 Make : HYUNDAI Model : ELANTRA Type : PASSENGER CAR

Make : HYUNDAI Model : ELANTRA Year : 2004/2005

Manufacturer : HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V395000 Mfg's Report Date : SEP 09, 2005

Component: AIR BAGS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 240000

208. "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION." THE OCS INSTALLED IN THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT OF THE VEHICLE MAY MISCLASSIFY A CHILD RESTRAINT SEAT (CRS) AS AN ADULT. THIS MAY OCCUR IF THE CRS IS INSTALLED AFTER AN ADULT HAS BEEN SEATED IN THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT. IF THERE HAS NOT BEEN A 'KEY ON' ' KEY OFF' CYCLE WITH THE RIGHT FRONT PASSENGER SEAT EMPTY PRIOR TO INSTALLATION OF THE CRS.

Consequence: THE POSSIBILITY OF MISCLASSIFICATION OF A CRS AS AN ADULT MAY ALLOW THE RIGHT FRONT AIRBAG OR SIDE IMPACT AIRBAG TO DEPLOY IN A CRASH AND COULD RESULT IN INJURY TO THE RIGHT FRONT OCCUPANT.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE VEHICLE'S OCS ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT (ECU) TO REMOVE THE FEATURE THAT MAY CAUSE THE CRS TO BE RECOGNIZED AS AN ADULT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HYUNDAI AT 1-800-633-5151.

Notes: CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY

1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO
Check to Request Research. Submit below.
Reply to
Timothy A. Roy

Hyundaitech any word on if this is related to the OCS issue where a full grown adult is missread and the bag light goes on and off randomly while driving?

Reply to
Timothy A. Roy

If this is a new recall, Hyundai has yet to release information on this recall to the dealers. I check for new technical service bulletins nearly every day and this hasn't come out yet.

I wonder, however, if you're referring to recall 919, where Hyundai will reprogram the air bag control module. I've never seen why this was done for recall 919. The TSB just indicates that we should reprogram the control module and doesn't say what the reprogramming does. I do know that those who say they have issues with the lamp staying on say they continue to have the issues after the reprogramming.

Based on your post, I'd say the reprogramming to which it refers would increase the sensitivity to minor changes in readings from the seat sensor. I'd expect it to actually make the lamp come on more frequently for those having this problem.

Hyundai also has released a TSB where they offer to reprogram the seat sensor if the customer can demonstrate to the dealer-- with the passenger in question seated properly-- the condition actually happening with a small stature passenger. It's been rumored that Hyundai will require the customer to sign some sort of statement, but I've never seen anything of the sort. Mostly, this leads me to believe that the majority of people that experience the issue aren't seated properly, but I'm large and heavy enough that I don't think I'll ever be able to experience it seating myself in the passenger seat.

Reply to
hyundaitech