4WD Trouble Light

The 4wd trouble light started blinking ......

Just took it to the shop. Its a 04 Santa Fe 3.5L 4WD with 48200 mi. At first the dealer stated that the warranty would not cover any problem because it was with the drivetrain rather then the powertrain, which does not make sense. After waiting for a hour and a half I was told that the problem was traced to a wire harness that runs down the inside of the SF. That there was a TSB on this but my car was the first one they encountered with this problem. Was told that all the seats will have to be pulled to get to the wiring. I am curious about what the problem was and what was the number of the TSB ? I was told before leaving the dealer the this would be a warranty repair ?????

Anybody ever had this problem ?

Reply to
Striker

I've not seen nor heard of this issue. Nor can I find any TSB relating to it (unless you've also got an ABS lamp coming on). Your four wheel drive is actually controlled by a coupler on the rear differential, not in the transfer case. The driveshaft for the rear wheels is always turning, but the coupler keeps it disconnected from the rear differential until front wheel slip is detected.

If the problem had been with that coupler or the differential, I'd expect that would have been covered by the powertrain warranty. The wire harness, however, is not considered part of the powertrain, and is covered only by the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It turned out to be a wiring issue. When I was driving it home from the shop, the check engine light came on. It was 0128 Fuel temp sensor circuit A. I am wondering if when the shop corrected the 4WD wiring problem that they did something to the fuel temp sensor wire ? never had the code before and I don't believe in coincidences.

Can't win for losing Striker....

I've not seen nor heard of this issue. Nor can I find any TSB relating to it (unless you've also got an ABS lamp coming on). Your four wheel drive is actually controlled by a coupler on the rear differential, not in the transfer case. The driveshaft for the rear wheels is always turning, but the coupler keeps it disconnected from the rear differential until front wheel slip is detected.

If the problem had been with that coupler or the differential, I'd expect that would have been covered by the powertrain warranty. The wire harness, however, is not considered part of the powertrain, and is covered only by the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Reply to
Striker

Not knowing where they were looking and where they worked on the wire, it's hard to say. Since the engine runs and the connector for the sensor is the same as for the fuel pump (if my memory is correct), it's a safe bet the connector is plugged in. If you want to have a look, you'll need to remove the left rear seat and go through the access panel in the floor.

Reply to
hyundaitech