91 Scoupe Problems

My buddy Jet has this car. He's terrible at maintaining it. (ie never checks fluids until something goes wrong :() Apparently it has started doing a 'grinding' noise near the pulley system. It goes away if you get enough rpms or go above 40mph. He needs an oil change for sure. As well, he needs to put manual transaxle fluid in it.

Not sure what the 'grinding' noise is, or where exactly it's coming from.

I've heard that it may be a thrown rod, timing belt, or bearing.

Any ideas? Also, the car has problems with keeping speed going uphills even when the gas is floored.

Thanks in advance. Will

Reply to
Will

Take a long screwdriver and place the tip on various items attached to the engine (alternator, compressor, head, block, etc.) and put your ear on the handle (being very careful not to touch anything that's actually moving). It will act as a stethescope and you'll be able to narrow the source of the noise.

Reply to
hyundaitech