93 Sonata CV joints

Friend of mine is looking at buying a 93 Sonata with 170K miles. The car is $500 however the seller says it needs some sort of CV joint work. Not sure how bad they actually are.

Is this car one that can run for a long time on clicking CVs or do they tend to roll over and die right away?

Assuming all four CVs are bad, anyone have a ballpark idea on how much labor would be involved to replace them? Guess it's two half shafts like most cars. Not sure.

Overall reliability/thoughts on this model Sonata? My friend is kinda strapped for cash so he'd rather not get into a can of worms.

Thanks!

Reply to
PMDR

Prices vary across the country. Tell us where you live and someone will probably be able to give you an idea based on what they paid near you. Here in upstate NY I pay around $75 for re-man'd half shafts and install them myself.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The cv joints usually run awhile before something ugly happens.

As for overall reliability, not good. Both engines leak oil. The V6 can have valve guide issues. V6 automatic transmission reliability is not very good. 4 cylinder transmission reliability is horrible. 4 cylinder timing belts strip easily.

Reply to
hyundaitech

He's in the Atlanta vacinity.

Our prices are probably comparable to yours.

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
PMDR

It's the V6 version.

I was told the car recently had a no-start problem and was towed to the dealer for repair. What caused it and/or what was done to fix it, no idea. It looks like the buyer is going to do the deal Saturday. And mechanics everywhere rub their hands with glee. ;)

As always, thanks for the great info!

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
PMDR