94 Excell "Check Engine"

My daughters "Check Engine" light has is on. I took it to the local auto parts store. They will hook it up to a computer and tell you what the error code is. We could not find the harness to plug in the computer. Are we blind or stupid?

Reply to
Rob

I have one, too, and the CEL has been on for the past two years. I checked it with a voltmeter and got conflicting codes. The dealer checked it when I brought it in for a state inspection and he couldn't make sense of it, either. It's been running fine, so I never bothered to look into it further.

BTW, if you're interested, I'm selling mine. It comes with two sets of wheels and tires (Michellin X1 summer tires and Nokian Hakka 1 snows, b oth with only one season on them), relatively new shocks all round, new front brake pads and a trailer hitch. I also have a Thule roof rack that fits it. The engine starts and runs great, but the left front wheel bearings need replacement. It's a good rebuildable or parts car. I'm in southern New Hampshire.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I bought the shop manual for it and it showed where to tap into the computer with a voltmeter. The other option is to take it to either Autozone - who will test it free - or the dealer - who will charge you to test it.

Sounds like a good first car. With any car that age, electrical problems can occur. I would check the ground connections to the engine and chassis to make sure they're still clean. Again, you'll want a manual with schematics.

Not when they're on separate wheels. It takes me 10-15 minutes to change them.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

The connector is in the fuse box. I would doubt that a parts place would have a scanner which they could use for free to read the codes in a 1994 Excel. If you have a sweep voltmeter, you can check them yourself, though. Go to

and get an account if you don't already have one. Pull up the shop manual for the 1994 Excel. In the fuel section, it should give an explanation of how to read the pulses and translate into your code. You can read also read transmission codes this way. (See the transmission section.)

Reply to
hyundaitech