94 Excell, valve tap

My daughters 94 excell (42,000 miles) has a valve that started tapping today. (fairly loud) All fluids are normal. It runs great. I'm going to remove the valve cover and start adjusting the valves. Is this O.K.? Is there something I should know before doing this. Rob

Reply to
Rob

If it's one valve and it's fairly loud, it may be a broken valve spring. I've had that happen on a couple of cars, so make sure you check carefully.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

If you're comfortable adjusting valves, there's absolutely nothing you won't expect there.

In some cases, one of the bolts holding a rocker shaft down comes loose. The rocker shafts sometimes break. The threads in the hole are sometimes damaged. I've had to replace many rocker shafts and helicoil several heads.

Reply to
hyundaitech

That was EXACTLY what it was. The rocker shaft was loose on one side. I tightened the bolt and all is well. Of course I had already commenced on readjusting the valves before I noticed the loose bolt. I got away cheap this time.

Rob

Reply to
Rob