'96 Accent

Hello!
My daughter's friend has a 1996 accent (1.5l). He had it in the shop recently, and they told him he is going to need a new oil pan and a new tranny pan. They want $500 - $600 to do. After looking at the car,
it's pretty obvious that it will need to be done soon. Having never worked on a car like this, I was hoping that someone might be able to offer a few pointers. My main concern is over what's involved in putting the new pans on. I didn't get under the car far enough to see what is involved. Does the engine need to be lifted or removed? Is this something I'll end up regretting after more than 3 - 4 hours?
Thanks everyone!
Doug
perfect. Thanks for the reply.