98 Hyundai tiburon--uneven idle

I have a 98 Hyundai Tiburon--the 4 cylinder, it's automatic. When idling, every once in awhile the idle speeds up for no reason and then slows back down. The garage is telling me its a warped or bent cam shaft. I'm not buying that. How often does a 4 cylinder get a bent cam shaft?? (This car has never been wrecked--even wrecked, does the cam shaft get bent--unless it's head-on totalled.)

Suggestions? New computer chip? New oxygen sensor? New idler arm or something? Definitely going to a new mechanic. I swear they see a girl coming, and the $ signs ring up in their eyes.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
G. Rohrer

Jody

It could be something as simple as a poor connection at the throttle position sensor.

Reply to
hyundaitech