98 Hyunday Elantra Shifts only with OD off

My 98 Elantra with 98k miles just recently stopped engaging all gears with OD on. I can only get Drive to work below 15 mph and only for 15 seconds. The shifting seems to work fine with OD off. I have only tested this for about 20 miles. Is there something that can be done to correct this without having to replace the transmission?

Reply to
bdugan

It's possible that you can get away with just replacing the end clutch, but that doesn't happen very often on your transmission. Most likely, you'll need to overhaul or replace the transmission. If you're considering that repair, include the dealer in your price quotes. Hyundai prices their remanufactured transmissions quite reasonably. Dealer cost is so low that most dealers sell the transmissions for less than manufacturer list.

Reply to
hyundaitech