98 Sonata -- CV Joints/Boots?

Sorry to trouble y'all with what is probably a trivial question, but a search of previous messages didn't give me an answer, so I beg your forgiveness and bearance.

Our '98 Sonata has a clicking sound on hard right turns which I presume means the CV Boots, and maybe the joints, need to be replaced. As far as I know, the originals are still on the car; we bought it at 40K miles and we're now at 103K and have not replaced them during the time we've owned the car.

My question is twofold: (1) how long can we continue driving with the "clicking" occurring before we do damage to the joint? and (2) what kind of US Dollar repair bill should we plan on? As a related question, is replacement of the Boot/Joint something I, as a backyard mechanic with a book and medium level skills, could do?

Thanks for your advice. Lee

Reply to
leesun1
  1. If you hear clicking from the joint, it's already damaged.

  1. Cost of repair will depend greatly on where you live and who (re)manufactures the replacement parts. I'd say anywhere from 0 to 0 per side. Shop around.

If you're comfortable with taking the ball joint loose from the knuckle, you could probably do this yourself.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

It's also much easier that way if you decide to do it yourself. I've done halfshafts on a couple of cars and it's surprisingly easy to do.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Jody

If that's the case, don't DIY. I can't speak directly about the Sonata, but I've changed halfshafts without disconnecting the ball joint. Sometimes, simply disconnecting the hub from the strut provides enough room for disassembly.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query. I broke down and had it done by a local shop; they replaced both axels for US$ 380. We had the brakes done too, as well as replaced 4 tires, so now, after a couple more fixes, we should be good for another few thousand miles. Powerwindow lift on driver's door, which I will do, since I've done it

3 times in 4 years already, will be the next project, but I wish I could find a regulator for less than $103.00 which our dealer wants. The next will be a timing belt replacement since we're now at about 87K miles on this one.

Anyhow, thanks for all your helpful advice. Lee

Reply to
leesun1