99 Accent power drop - Worth checking codes?

My 99 Accent is a bit sluggish but I haven't seen any check engine light. Did a fast check and found a loose air connector tube between the air sensor and what passes for an intake manifold. Tightened that up and it runs better but still is not up to the old power level. Seems to have a flat spot where I exect power on acceleration. Will get tp a tune up soon but wondered if it was worth getting into a code reader to see if there were other issues as there is no check engine coming on and the bulb is good (check on startup).

Reply to
nothermark

How many miles does your car have?

I wouldn't expect a code reader to show anything if the check engine light isn't on.

Reply to
screwtape iii

Around 80,000. The thing that bothers me is the flat spot that developed rather suddenly. I was thinking the codes might show things that were marginal. On the other hand i don't have a code reader handy. ;-)

Reply to
nothermark

It's worth a try. I don't have much else to offer.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The instructions for the Innova/Equus code reader that I just bought say that the product will indeed display "pending" codes. I'll keep this short and won't go into an explanation about the On Board Diagnostic system. Suffice to say that a "pending" situation is one in which the computer has registered a reading that's out of normal range, but has not determined whether the problem is serious or not, or whether the situation hasn't corrected itself. In a case like this, the code is registered and will be displayed if requested, but the "check engine" light will remain off.

I'm still learning how this device interacts with the car's computer, and I'm getting two confusing responses now with my own car, so I can't comment further until I get this resolved and know more. I'm still interested in knowing what the difference is between code readers, which are somewhat affordable, and scan tools, which are costly professional tools.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

| wrote: | | >nothermark wrote: | >

I was thinking the codes might show things | that were marginal. On the other hand i don't have a code reader | handy. ;-)

As I said in the other post, I believe that it would. I'm reminding you, if you haven't seen my other posts here, that there are two code readers on sale right now at Kragen, Schucks, and Checker stores (USA). I believe that the sale will be over on

3/25; the rebate on the Innova reader has to be postmarked on the 26th. The Innova is $100 after rebate. The other one costs less, and I don't know anything about it. I've been impressed with an Innova/Equus reader that I had for my '92 Ford (different electronic system), and that's why I bought this one.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

A code reader will do only that -- read codes. A scan tool, on the other hand, will display data from the computer (input from sensors, output to actuators, etc.) for the technician to view. Many manufacturer's scan tools even allow the tech to operate many of the devices and actuators on the vehicle with the tool.

Reply to
hyundaitech