99 accent seatbelt latch

well our red button on our cars seatbelt latch will not pop back up on its own anymore, thought I was stuck in the car today =) It feels like it's sticking, is there anything i could use to free it up or you think i have to just replace the latch?

Reply to
Jody

Take it out of the car and take it apart. One thing that can cause similar problems is if a coin falls into it. If that's not the case, it probably just needs some lubrication. Silicone spray lube should do the trick.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Jody

So spend $3 on a can of silicone spray.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Jody

Actually, don't try to take it apart. It's not made to come apart, and you probably won't be able to get it to stay together properly once you've taken it apart. You can still try taking it off, looking down inside to see if there's something in there, and lubing it, but I think it's a bad idea to take it apart.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Two hours to any kind of a hardware store or a Wal-Mart, or an auto parts store, or even a grocery store that has a small hardware aisle? Where the heck do you live?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

I should have been more specific. Once you get it unbolted from the floor, removing the covers should be enough disassembly to allow you to see if anything is stuck in it, broken, rusted, etc., and where you need to lube it.

BTW, the reason I suggest silicone lube for the latch is that anything oily or greasy is likely to end up on you clothing unless you're really careful with the belt.

I don't have any kids, either, but I've had a coin fall out of my hand at a drive-through and land in the seat belt latch.

It may require removing the seat, but in some cars you can access the bolt holding the seat belt latch by sliding the seat all the way forward.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom