99 Elantra Driveshaft Boots

Hello everyone,
    This past weekend I was flushing the brake fluid lines in my sister's 99 Elantra and noticed that both outer boots are cracked
right in the middle and from the looks of things it may have been a while since this has happened as all of the grease looks to be on the wheels. I haven't done this before so I called the dealer to get a quote, they had told me that it would run $255 for the labor on the outer boots plus parts. So now that's got me motivated to actually learn how to do it. In looking at the Hyundai service document I'm trying to determine what specialty tools I'm going to need to get the shaft out. I have the tie rod end puller and the snap ring tool. It looks like I'll need to get an axle shaft puller but that looks like all I'll need from the diagram. Are there any other told that I'm going to need? Also besides getting the new inner and outer boots, bands and grease, and retainer ring, what other parts will I need for this job?     I also had a look at advanceautoparts and it looks like they sell a new axle for about $100, does anyone think I should just buy this and not worry about replacing the boots/parts on the existing one?
Thanks in advance,
Nick
Since it's likely that dirt and water have found their way into the CV joints, there's not much point in replacing the boots, as the joints are probably damaged. Replacing the complete axle assembly is relatively easy and as you discovered, rebuilt parts are pretty inexpensive. Frankly, I'm surprised that the dealer would even quote you on a boot replacement, as they must know that it's a bad idea in such a situation.
The axle is much more expensive than the boot at the dealer. Unless the prices have changed recently, I'd quote the boot if I couldn't find anything wrong with the axle on my test drive.
Thanks Brian and Hyundaitech for your responses. I think I'm going to get the Cardone axle as everything is already assembled and you just need to pull out the old and put in the new. Also there is only a $20 difference between getting a rebuilt one and a new one so I'm going to get both new.     Provided that they do not include the retainer ring, is this the only part that I would need to buy besides 3 quarts of transmission fluid?
Thanks again, Nick
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:38:47 -0400, Nick

Often, you can just transfer the retaining clip from the old axle with a little action from the pliers so that you close it back up again after you put it on-- removing usually opens it quite a bit.
I made another response earlier but it apparently hasn't made its way in yet (and probably never will). It addressed your question of special tools for axle removal. Usually the axle can be taken loose from the transmission with a pry bar. It should slide out of the wheel hub after removing the cotter pin and castle nut. If it doesn't slide out, striking with a plastic or rubber hammer is usually sufficient.
you far better off to just replace both axel units