99' Elantra evaporator

MY AC evaporator went out and the cheapest estimate so far to replace it is 600.00 with an aftermarket part, Hyundai would not even give me an estimate until they had the part in hand but did say they run
around 500.00 plus installation but they wouldn't give me exact amount without ordering the part. Is 600.00 high for aftermarket installed by Firestone?
I don't know the quality or markup on the aftermarket part, nor the going labor rate at the Firestone in your area, so it's difficult to say whether it's high for what you're getting. If its the lowest price you're able to find, then it's probably a pretty good price.
As to why the dealer wouldn't give you an estimate, I don't know. It's pretty simple, really. Price of evaporator plus two pounds R-134a plus labor to replace evaporator.
I ran a rough estimate for what we would charge here, and it's about $1200 for the evaporator and case assembly, or about $1150 for just the evaporator core itself. Unless you're near a high-priced major metropolitan area, dealer prices in your area will probably be lower.
Buckeyered wrote:

The part is $250 from rockauto.com. They shipped me a 4-row radiator for under $20, so I would assume they could do the same for this.
$500 for an evaporator... sheez... this is a Hyundai not a Bentley.
JS
JS wrote:

Try woodfins.com. I have been buying from them for years and am well satisfied with all parts purchased. They are one of the cheaper but reputable parts supplier I have found.
I dropped the car off at Firestone this afternoon and they called around 5:30 saying that the after market evaporator that was delivered is identical except for the expansion valve mounting, they said one fitting is to small on the original expansion valve and that all the parts houses only list one evaporator for this car. So now they have to wait until tomorrow to call Hyundai and see if there is another expansion valve or if there is another evaporator.
Thanks for the help and links everyone.