'99 Elantra....intermittent hard starting

Our '99 5speed wagon with 94k (bought new) has recently began to take several spins before it starts...but not always. Sometimes from a cold start it will take 6 or 7 turns. If I shut it off and restart, it will
fire right up, normally, sometimes :-)
I should also add that we also get an intermittent check engine light that does not seem to affect performance at all and it began occuring way before the hard starting problem. That intermittent stuff is enough to drive a guy nuts!!
I wanted to start trouble shooting by changing the fuel filter.......a real bear to crack the lower line connection...I gave up ..any tricks or hints for this?
I seem to remember a tech saying that if it gets hard to start, think fuel pressure regulator.
The car runs and idles perfectly otherwise.
I hope to sort this out asap, as we are going on vacation soon.
Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lenny
If you're getting a check engine lamp, always check the codes first. Often, you'll get a large hint as to the cause of the driveability problems you've been experiencing.
Since the just the code read was $65.00, I decided to take a shot and install the $46.00 fuel pressure regulator, about a 10 minute job. Not only does the car start perfect all the time now, but I haven't seen the check engine light for over a week including a 1k road trip with many stops and starts.
Musta got lucky. :-)
Lenny