99 Elantra problem cont.

Hello everyone,
    I had posted about a two weeks ago a problem on my sister's 99 Elantra in that the car was suddenly shutting off and she would then
be able to turn the car on again without any problems. I replaced that battery last Sat and on Friday, my sister reported that the battery light and break light were coming on slightly, and when she would apply the gas pedal the lights would go out. I took the car out on Sat and didn't see the problem (I had everything on, high beams A/C, radio and rear defrost). Today, my sister takes the car and goes over to her friends house no problem so far. She tries to come home and about 3 minutes from when she left she noticed that the radio was coming on and off and her airbag light came on; she immediatly turned back to he friends house. She tried to start the car again and the car wouldn't crank. I then brought the old battery that I just had swapped last week, charged it for about 5 minutes and made it back to the house without any problems.     I tried hooking the battery that would not crank to my Craftsman battery charger and it showed about 10% charge. Ok so I would guess from this that the problem is the alternator. But in every other car that I have seen this problem, the battery light in the console would stay on when the alternator is not sending any current to the battery. I'm assuming that the alternator is sending some current, but I would expect it to go on when the threshold was under a certain amount. As this is my first experience with Hyundai's, is this something that is typical on a failing alternator in this model?
Thanks in advance, Nick
You can take your battery and alternator to Auto Zone or any local auto parts store to check them both out.
If the car is a 99' that means the car could be 5 to 6 years old already and not uncommon to have either a failing battery or alternator.
Let us know how it works out!
ElantraStan http://www.stanarseneaux.com/elantra
snipped-for-privacy@hirise.com

You're on the right track with the alternator. Hyundai alternators are sometimes persnickety when they fail -- they work sometimes and not others, or the lamp sometimes doesn't come on when they're not working. Everything in the above post is consistent with alternator failure.
Thanks for the help. I'll replace the alternator tomorrow or the day after.
Nick
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:36:06 -0500, "hyundaitech"

I've replaced the alternator and so far everything looks ok after about a week. Thanks for everyone's help!
Nick
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:12:08 -0500, Nick

AWESOME! Hyundaitech needs to setup a paypal account so people can send him money for his solutions.. He rocks!
ElantraStan http://www.stanarsenaux.com/elantra /
snipped-for-privacy@hirise.com