99 Elantra Transmission Problem

Hello,
All of a sudden this morning my sister's 99 Elantra transmission will not shift into reverse. Also the transmission will not shift out
of first gear. Last night when she came home everything was fine with the car. The check engine light has not come on yet, but I will try to read the codes off and see if there are any codes that are stored in the ECU. I will also drain and fill the transmission fluid and see if that helps, but it wasn't due for the 30k fluid change for another 10k miles. Does it appear that the transmission is shot? I was also reading that it could be something to do with the vehicle speed senor, but wouldn't that throw the check engine light?
Thanks, Nick
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:19:23 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.com wrote:

Please diagnose before doing any repair.
It seems wise to check for pending diagnostic trouble codes.
You can check the fluid by looking at it on the dipstick and spreading a few drops on a white paper towel. If it is transparent, is not dark and does not smell burnt, I am prone to believe the fluid is not the culprit.
Once I thought I had a serious transmission problem: it was nothing more than a worn rubber bushing that links the wire that comes from the shift stick to the transmission lever! It does not seem to be your case.
Good luck.
--
Jean Castonguay
lectrocommande Pascal
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:19:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.com wrote:

P0732 basically indicates that the transmission is slipping in 2nd gear. This supports the theory that you'll need major transmission work.
Thanks for the help hyundaitech. With the cost of fixing the transmission and the mileage due for a timing belt, my sister has opted to get a new car.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:09:26 -0400, "hyundaitech"