99 Elantra - window regulator

Hello everyone,

About 3-4 months ago I had replaced the drivers window regulator in my sister's 99 Elantra (96k miles). Just last Friday the drivers rear window regulator broke and had to replace that. I've searched the newgroups and found other people having the same problems. Now I know these things don't last, but I seriously think that the parts need to be recalled and redesigned. My sister barely uses the windows so I can't blame it on over use. I have 2 95 Hondas with a lot more mileage on them and I do use the windows excessively and have never seen this problem. I'd like to know if others have the same issue on this generation Elantra. On top of all this, the wheel bearing is going which shouldn't happen at the mileage that is on the car (I'm hoping that this is covered under the power train warranty).

I'm going to be filing a complain with Hyundai to see if that will at least comp me back for the 2nd regulator but I'm not expecting much.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

"I have 2 95 Hondas with a lot more mileage on them and I do use the windows excessively and have never seen this problem. I'd like to know if others have the same issue on this generation Elantra. "

Consider yourself lucky. Honda power windows have a propensity to break the plastic block that rides in the regulator track, rendering the power windows useless(the glass will fall into the door as soon as you try to lower the window). You can't buy just the 2 cent plastic piece that breaks, you have to buy the whole regulator. I've changed quite a few regulators on the civic's because of this problem.

Power windows are one of those things that are more trouble than they are worth IMHO. If you want them you have to put up with repairs as they age.....

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Yeah I agree .... far too many failures with limited use. The stamped metal housing around the cable spool is not riveted or tack welded to seal tightly. When there is slack in the cable, it can jam in the space and forget about fixing it....believe, I've tried. That's what happened to

**3** on my '99 wagon. Interestingly, I bought a used replacement from a '97 and it had an open spool design. If they modified the design so the cable wouldn't tangle and twist, they didn't do it right and might have even made for more problems. I wish manual window operators would have been available. Dad always told me, never buy a car with power windows :-) Please let me know how you made out with the complaint. I'll write Hyundai also if you think it might help

Lenny '99 5spd wag> Hello everyone,

Reply to
Leonardo