99 Sonata rear calipers stuck

My nephew has a 99 sonata that has collapsed rear calipers. He also informed me that 'someone' cut the emergency brake cable. Not knowing anything about Hyundai vehicles and knowing the cost of the calipers, is it possible that the cut brake cable could trigger the calipers to lock?

Barring this possibility has anyone experienced similar brake issues? What, other than replacing the calipers, was done to resolve the issue? Master Cylinder - Distribution system????

I don't have access to the vehicle I'm just trying to give him some ideas of what to look for before he wastes ~$300 for calipers he may not need.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin Bootz

With rear disc brakes, the parking brake operates a shoes which ride on the drum portion of the disc. Since this is completely independent of the caliper and pads, cutting the cable will have no effect on the caliper.

I'm not certain exactly what's going on with the caliper. You use the words locked, stuck, and collapsed. These don't all seem consistent. What are the symptoms displayed by the brakes or what is it you're trying to do that you cannot accomplish?

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech