A couple of codes to decipher

Hello!
My question is to all but i hope the Hyundaitech will weigh in as well since he has helped me tremendously in the past.
Got 'Check engine light' this morning, hooked up the reader and got a
couple of codes: 0442 and 0100. First is probably related to the filler cap not being tight so I am not worried much, but the second is "Mass or volume air flow circuit". Since my wife complains that the car is 'short on breath' I wonder if this is serious and what should be done. I have a Sonata 2000 with 106 KMiles on it.
Your response is greatly appreciated.
The P0100 indicates a problem with the air flow sensor readings. There's a recall on this car (if it's a U.S. model) regarding the air flow sensor connector (and reprogramming the ECM if it's a V6). Call your local dealer with vin in hand to see if there are any uncompleted recalls. If recall 039 is open, having it done could remedy your problem. If it's already been completed, check the hose between the air flow sensor and the engine and verify it's on and secure and has no openings. Also check the mass air flow sensor connector for good contact, meaning the air flow sensor pins must fit snugly into the terminals in the connector. Sometimes the female terminals in the connector push apart and don't always make contact with the sensor terminals. This can often be remedied by twisting the pins on the sensor (just a little) and reconnecting the harness. If all that is okay and you still have the issue, then you probably need a new air flow sensor. There are still other possibilities, but the likelihood is very small compared to the items I've mentioned above.
P0442 indicates a small evaporative emissions leak. It could have been caused by an improperly or incompletely installed fuel cap, or by an actual problem in the system. If I didn't have the diagnostic equipment I have, I'd make sure the cap is on correctly and clear the code and see if it returns.
Thank you very much! An exhaustive answer as usual!
hyundaitech wrote:

It'a amazing how great the service and dedication to the branch is-outside South africa, of course! The South African guys should take a hard look at the service and brand dedication around the world, maybe then they'd improve? Dunno, an idiot remains an idiot?
Take a look at http://www.ezbuy.co.za for further info.
Kepp well.
Can this really be happening?

test wrote:

It is doubtful, but anything is possible. However, looking at the first letter the person allegedly wrote to Hyundai, I can understand why he didn't get much response. He "screams" in the letter several times (using all caps) and the letter says "nut case" all over it.
If you want results from a company, you need to approach them in a professional and calm, but firm manner and not get all riled up right out of the box. That just tells people that you aren't reasonable and not worth wasting time on.
Matt

Throwing tantrums used to work great on Mommy, but in the real world, it gets you nothing.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

And depending on your mommy, it didn't even always work there! :-)
Matt

All it ever got for me was "The Look".
--
Bob