A question about gas caps

Hi, I loaned my 1991 Hyundai Excel to my Mom and when she put gas in it she forgot to put the cap back on (she left it on the roof). She went back for it as she watched someone drive over it. Needless to say I now have to buy one. My question is can I just go to a Pep Boys type of store and get a generic one that will do the job, or do I have to order one specially through Hyundai??

And also should I shove a rag in the tank until I get a new cap? Is the gas evaporating?

Thank you so much for any help.

Reply to
Pamela G.

A good auto supply store will have one that matches your car. They are not cheap any more, expect to pay $20 or so.

The cap is part of the fuel and vapor recovery system so the check engine light may go on. Stop and get one on your way to work this morning and skip the rag.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Aftermarket stores like Pep Boys may indeed have the proper cap for your car. Give the local one a call. It will cetainly be cheaper than one from the dealer. That said, the dealer is likely going to charge $20-$30 for one, which although that's almost robbery, it's not going to break the bank if you really want the proper cap.

Moltave Cocktail comes to mind...

You should be able to compare the aftermarket with dealer prices with the investment of two phone calls in your time, and then head off to your chosen point of supply. Get it done today and you've no real need to worry about evaporation.

You will get a Check Engine Light until you get the right cap on. It will take several start cycles and some road mileage before it goes out on its own.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually, the check engine lamp will not set. The diagnostic system in the

1991 Excel is not capable of detecting vapor leaks.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks to all! Sorry my reply is so late, but some scumbag broke into my car and it's caused me a giant hassle. I stopped in at Pep Boys and was schocked to find a Stant gas cap was only 7.99..!! WOW! So I grabbed it. I'm still curious what Hyundai would have the nerve to ask, so will call them and post the price. My guess is 21.99

Thanks again!

Reply to
Pamela G.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:09:29 -0800, Pamela G. posted:

Just be glad it isn't a gas cap for an airplane. about 12 years ago, I needed a rubber gas cap gasket for my Cessna 170. I also needed two O-rings, one for each gas cap. The O-rings, generic parts, both of them, were 18 cents each. The rubber gasket, a Cessna-only part, was $24.

I'd hate to think what it would cost today.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Yeah $21.99.? Probably closer to 50 bucks. $7.99 for the cap and 40 to get the damned light out.

Reply to
What

I could see that for a part for an airplane that if you crashed but for a rice burner, I don't think so.

Reply to
What

You hafta just love these posters that carry on a conversation with themselves.

Reply to
Mike Marlow