Accent engine rattle on cold start

This seems like a silly question, but is it normal for a 2001 Accent's engine to give a rattling sound on a cold start? I had not noticed this before because I normally have my window up when I start. Basically, if I start the car after it has been sitting overnight, the engine idles with a rattling sound for half a minute or so. It fades soon after, and will not recur until the car has been shut down for a long time. Googling on this issue pulls up a whole bunch of possibilities for a whole bunch of cars, but for some cars, this is supposed to be normal. Is it?

Thanks.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

My 2002 XG-350L is doing the same thing. It quits as soon as I drive a short distance.

Reply to
rayindesmoines

My 2002 XG-350L is doing the same thing. It quits as soon as I drive a short distance.

Reply to
rayindesmoines

My 2002 XG-350L is doing the same thing. It quits as soon as I drive a short distance.

Reply to
rayindesmoines

This is rare on the Accent. Depending on your engine, you might have some partially clogged oil passages. Or your oil filter may not have an anti-drainback valve. In most cases, leaving a vehicle sit no longer than overnight leads to no more than a few seconds of valve tap.

Reply to
hyundaitech

hyundaitech je napisao/la:

I have the same problem with my Elantra 1.6 (model year 2003, with hydrolifters). Car was in the shop 5 times at 3 different services during warranty period (In Europe we have 3 years of warranty only). They replaced hydrolifters, camshaft chain, tried different oil grade, nothing helped. It seems also that it is slowly getting worse with time. Now my warranty is over, and I am stuck with this car (can't even sell it because of the noise). Now, if this is caused by clogged oil passages, can I expect that engine will fail eventually? What procedure is needed to fix such problem and how much it cost in your shop?

Reply to
gnekker

I'm not sure what setup you've got in your engine, Gnekker, we don't use a

1.6 in the 2003 Elantra in the U.S. Presuming it's the basic beta design, yes, eventually they could clog to the point of severe engine damage.

It sounds to me like no one has actually identified the cause of the problem in your engine. I've seen it caused by grit in the oiling system, by faulty lifters, by insufficient oil pressure (for several reasons), or by clogged oil passages.

If it's just the rocker arms that are clogged, you'd be looking at several hundred U.S. dollars to clean out. If it's worse than that and has invaded the passages in the head and block, then you're looking at thousands of U.S. dollars to remove the head/block and send to be hot tanked. But I have no idea what labor costs are in your corner of the world.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Today, I took my XG into the shop and they discovered what was making the noise.

It was the power steering. There was a leaky hose and the fluid was low.

Reply to
rayindesmoines

Engine type is G4ED ("Alpha II"), don't know if it makes any difference. Labor cost is lower here, but still it seems that I am in for an expensive repair on the car with only 35 000 km. Thanks for the info!

Reply to
gnekker

The alpha engine is somewhat similar. Should be about the same.

Reply to
hyundaitech