Accent Makes "Chunk Chunk" Noise When Turning Left

Is it the bearings?
How much is that to replace?
:)
Chris

Chunk-chunk is not your typical bearing noise. Have it checked.
hyundaitech wrote:

It's a repetive noise that only happens when turning left.
"Chunk-chunk-chunk" etc
Any idea what it could be?
Chris
I hope I'm wrong, but if I didn't know better, that sounds like a failing half-shaft (one of the U-joints).
I'd be checking the boots. If one of them is damaged, then you may indeed need to replace the half-shaft.
Tom Wenndt

check cv joints, if shot replace whole axel, not just the joint

Jody wrote:

Why replace the entire axle?
Matt

For most cars it's cheap enough and a lot easier Matt. Typically a half shaft costs around $75 plus core. It's a lot easier to just remove the old one and replace it, since you have to remove the half shaft in order to rebuild the joints anyway. I don't know the cost of the parts anymore, but boots are each around $20, so it's easy to imagine that the total cost of parts will approach the cost of the entire axle by the time you add in the cages and bearings.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I agree with Mike that replacing the entire halfshaft makes the most sense. I can tell you from experience that it's much easier, faster and more reliable than rebuilding the joints.
because labour and parts to do just the joints and boots would be equall or more than just buying and installing a complete axel unit... and who knows how much longer the inboard joints will last..

CV Joint...

Dumbass wrote:

The arrangement I had when I bought this car was that the everything required to pass safety would be done by the seller. Is this something that should have been fixed by them?
Chris
If it wasn't present at the time you bought the car, then I'd say the seller is not responsible for it. I presume your agreement meant anything that was currently wrong with the car, not items that could fail in the future.
hyundaitech wrote:

My sister noticed this noise within days of buying the car.
I guess the question comes down to, is this something that would fall under Canadian safety requirements? If it is. They should have fixed it. If not, I guess it's our problem, as the car has no warranty.
Chris
yes it would fail a car, not safe to drive

Dumbass wrote:

The car was purchased like 2-3 months ago. Figure I'm SOL in getting them to pay for it?
The car did pass the safety test that the dealer got done.
Chris

repair though.It could be much worse than a cv joint. Rob
Id say stop making lefts and make rights instead, you will eventually get home.....:))
OR, replace the whole CV joints.
my car used to make a "choo choo" noise while doing zigs zags, but thats another story........................................................................................................................