Accent oil consumption

Hi! For the first time, bought an Accent-96 ,1,5, 120K, which I noticed uses a lot of oil (at least compared to other cars I have owned). Approx. 500ml/1000 km.
No oil leaks. What do you think...is it a lot, or is it perfectly normal for this type of car to consume this amount of oil?
Should I have bought another car ;-)
Thanx FC
i think alot depends on how prior owner looked after her. ours has 142 000 kms and uses zero oil. ive never had to add oil yet since we bought the '99 used in 2001. have you checked your pcv valve? try replacing that, if it's plugged or seized thatll make the car use oil. its only a 8.99 part (what i paid at canadian tire)

Find out where the oil is going first before you get upset about oil consumption. It could be as easy as the next poster says and the PCV is the culprit, or the rings, or the valve guides, or a leak that you cannot see, etc. I had to replace my oil pan recently because it rotted from the outside in from the no leak condition.
In U.S. measure, (we really should change to match the rest of the world at some point), that's about 1 qt. per 1500 miles. That sounds reasonably normal to me, but it's definitely on the higher end of what I consider normal. If you're not seeing any smoke, I'd just keep the oil level full and keep driving. Even at 50 percent more consumption than you have now, even though you're leaving what I consider the normal range (my personal range, not Hyundai's), it's probably still not practical to attempt repair over simply keeping the oil full.
My 1996 Accent has 194,650 miles on it with the original clutch at that. It loses one quart between oil/filter changes which are at 3,500 mile intervals max. I continues to have no other issues with the car.

"" wrote: > Hi! > For the first time, bought an Accent-96 ,1,5, 120K, which I > noticed uses a > lot of oil (at least compared to other cars I have owned). > Approx. 500ml/1000 km. > No oil leaks. > What do you think...is it a lot, or is it perfectly normal for > this type of > car to consume this amount of oil? > > Should I have bought another car ;-) > > Thanx > FC
just take a look down the car and if u not see thats loosing oil its probably what RSCamaro1 says... rings or valve guides. thats money, man!
"djnmn" wrote: > just take a look down the car and if u not see thats loosing > oil its probably what RSCamaro1 says... rings or valve guides. > thats money, man!
It depends on the oil brand too. Try Castrol or Valvoline. I reduced oil consuptiom to a pint/3000 miles on a car that used used three times as much before.