Accent Timing Belt

We gave the car to our 16 yr-old, so I wasn't watching the mileage. Now, at 78K miles, its timing belt broke. I know, I should've replaced it at 65K.
Anyway, we replaced the timing belt and now one cylinder's dead. I thought the 1.5L was a non-interference engine. If so, what could be wrong?
Any opinions? Bent valve? Bent connecting rod? Scored piston?
Anyone experienced this before on a 1.5L engine? Any idea what cost will be? (we're in So. Calif.)
Book value on car is $3,105.
Thank you.
--
Steve McMahon

The engine is an interference design. More than likely the engine is toast & will need to be replaced. That's why changing the timing belt at 60k is so critical. Check out LKQ recyclers on E-bay. They generally have low mileage engines from wrecks at a decent price. You can get an engine for probably $500 including freight + cost of labor to install. (I'd expect $500-1000 depending on who you had do the work) Good luck!

Oh boy. Well, thanks for the info. So the 1.5L is an interference design.
What about the 1.6L? Bought a 2005 Accent GT w/that engine. Is it an intereference design? Are all Hyundai engines an interference design?
-- SM
i think a good majority of cars are interfearance design...

Anything 1995 and newer has an interference engine. You've probably bent some valves. You'll need to pull the cylinder head to be sure what you'll need for repair.
Probable: Replace some or all valves.
Possible: Cracked valve guides, making replacing the cylinder head a viable option.
Possible but unlikely: Piston or cylinder wall damage making replacing the entire engine almost a necessity.
Yeah and Hyundais are throw away cars. Why not sell it for what it's worth and buy another Korean make for cheap and replace it as soon as it crosses the 100,000 mile warrenty mark. This is what the majority of the owners are doing FYI.
On 3 Jun 2005 21:44:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ultimately, almost all cars are "throwaways". I hope I get 160K out of my 03 Accent, but my plan is to sell it at 120K. Which, for $10K is pretty good.
Are you saying you bought it brand new for $10,000 USD?
<<<<Ultimately, almost all cars are "throwaways". I hope I get 160K out of my 03 Accent, but my plan is to sell it at 120K. Which, for $10K is pretty good. >>>>
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

assuming you wait for the close-outs or promotions.
Harry
Harry Smith wrote:

Cleveland, OH: 2005 Accent- $7695 (I suspect this is the basic, stripped-down model.)
1-877-694-9863 Dealer
Jim
<<<< Cleveland, OH: 2005 Accent- $7695 (I suspect this is the basic, stripped-down model.)
1-877-694-9863 Dealer
Jim >>>>
Is this for a BRAND NEW one? Last time I checked the cheapest car I've seen was a new Geo Metro for a little under $9,000 USD.
When I was at the dealership not to long ago, the cheapest car there was the Elantra for 12,000. The luxury sedan from Hyundai cost well over $25,000 USD -- Decked out with all options.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Brand spankin' new.
I bought my '03 Accent new at the same dealer 2 yrs ago for $7995. 1.5L, 5-spd, AM/FM, cloth seats, *NO* A/C I assume these '05 models are similar.
Jim
On 5 Jun 2005 08:59:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A bit less. I rounded up for simplicity.