Actual gas mileage for Hyundai Sonata V6

In reading reviews of the 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS and LX models with the V6 engine, it appears that the actual gas mileage is significantly less than listed in the Hyundai spec sheets. Does anyone have information on the actual city and highway mileage one could expect. Thanks.

Reply to
David Morse

David......

Admittedly, most of our 4,200 miles on our '06 LX have been local, but I've been tracking the mileage at every fill-up and here are the results:

Month 1 Avg - 18.1 Month 2 Avg - 19.2 Month 3 Avg - 19.9 Month 4 Avg - 20.4

We have taken it on a couple of 2-3 hour freeway trips and the mileage was ~26-27 for those trips.

Keith

Reply to
KW

Based on the trip computer, for 2 mile stretches, I got 33 mpg doing 55 (2006 LX) and 27 mpg doing 75. Around town, dropping kids off, commute (11 miles, 30 minutes), average is about 18 mpg

Reply to
zigipha

David Morse wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My overall average with the GLS V6 is in the high 22's to near 23 MPG. That is about 75% city and 25% highway.

Our two trips to Viginia from New Jersey averaged 29.5 overall.

I'm just going to hit 6,000 miles probably tomorrow.

Reply to
Eric G.

LX with 4000 miles, I've been getting 20.7 MPG. 95% city driving.

Reply to
Rob

What are the EPA ratings for your LX? I'm thinking they were 20/30 for the V-6/AT, but I'm not 100% sure.

My 4/MT has yielded 27 and 29, 1st and 2nd fill-ups, respectively. Not enough to make a call yet. Mine is rated 24/34, so I'm beating the city rating by a little, but my driving has been mostly highway, but it has been fairly cold also and the engine isn't even through the break-in mileage yet.

I also noticed that the few comparative tests that I've seen, including one being handed out by the Hyundai dealer, showed the Sonata V-6 to be at the lower end of the spectrum of cars tested.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:f1Wxf.5132$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Yes, 20/30 are the EPA numbers for the V6 and I haven't read about too many people who have matched or exceeded those numbers. I think I am actually one of the few. And I really had to practice using the trip computer and varying my accelertaion and general driving techniques. Driving as I did with my previous 2003 Elantra, I would probably be in the 18-20 MPG range myself.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

That's it exactly.

The initial plan was that the Sonata was going to be my company car and the wife would hang on to the 99 Accord EXL V6. I originally wanted a GLS with the 4&MT and all the toys, but since we decided to buy while all of the big rebates were flying around there was nothing left but plain jane 4AT's and Loaded LX's with the 6. I ended up going with the loaded LX. Wouldn't have mattered anyway because as soon as she saw the Sonata, my opportunity to be the dominant driver vanished :-) Worked out better for me in the long run because the Honda get's about 27 MPG anywhere it's driven and I put on a lot more miles in a month than she does. We live in a pretty rural area and even though 95% of her miles are "around town"......town is about 6 miles away and down a sparsley driven state highway, so I was expecting to see the average up around 25 or so and at 4,200 miles on the clock, it is coming in a little over 20, so that is somewhat dissapointing, but it drives great, has a ton more room (in every dimension) than the Honda and Momma is happy which is what it's all about anyhoo.....right?

Keith

Reply to
KW