actual milage

I drive 30 miles each way to work and mpg is importatnt. What does a Sonata actaully get in mpg...not the sticker rating but actually. Consumer Reports says overall 23 (4cyl)but my 60 miles per day is normally at 70mph. Can anybody give me what I could expect?

lma

Reply to
Larrya

A solid 28 MPG on my V-6 in combination city and highway.

Reply to
James

James wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

James, that's a 2006 V6? I'd like to know your secret. I practically drive like my Grandma would and I can only manage to get an average of around 22 MPG with the V6 GLS.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I and others have posted a fair bit of our MPG experience here so you may want to review some of the older threads. I have an 06 with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission and I have been averaging about

26 for my 20 mile each way commute. I drive good two and four lane highways and drive 55-60 most of the time. I'd suspect I'd drop to 24-25 at 70 MPH. Obviously, MPG is very dependent on your climate and driving style. I'm not a very aggressive driver, but I am driving in the winter currently which tends to take a toll on mileage.

Personally, I'm disappointed with the Sonata's mileage. It is only slightly better than my 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager that it replaced. That ran 22 MPG in the same conditions that the Sonata is getting 26. And it was a much larger and heavier vehicle, had a 3.3L V-6 and automatic transmission.

Probably the best way to know for sure would be to try to rent one locally for a week. Is there an airport or car rental outfit nearby?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

What year and what climate?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I was thinking the same thing which is why I asked what year it was and the climate. Maybe an older Sonata in a very warm climate. I don't believe an 06 will get anywhere near that other than on a long trip on the interstate. Also, it depends on how you are calculating fuel mileage. Some people only compute the odd tank every now and then. This simply doesn't give you an accurate reading. I've had individual tanks vary from 25 to 29, but am averaging only 26 at present. I check every single tank and the variation due to which pump you use, what slope your car is parked on, the temperature, etc., causes fairly large tank-to-tank variations. If I had only checked my 29 MPG tank I'd be reporting a lot higher number than is really the case.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I get about 20.5 in town with my 06 LX (V6) We love the car but mpg is not the reason we do. Rob

Reply to
Rob

I have a 2006 Santa Fe V6 FWD.

I get an average of 24 MPG, city Highway, I drive around 70 - 75 mph.

so far very please with the Sport cute...

Reply to
Dumbass

I have a 2002 Sonata 2.4Lt 4Cyl 125k on clock, I get 29 to 30Mpg, only started to get 30mpg after 4k miles, probably I got bored driving too fast, newness wore off. I drive 110 miles round trip to work each day, all highway 65 to 75.

Reply to
Bryan

I just tallied up mine fuel purchases since new for my 06 Sonata GL with the 4 cylinder/standard shift and am doing a little better overall (27.45) than the 26 I thought and mentioned here recently. However, I'm waiting for more miles and warm weather to see what difference that makes.

Date Miles Gallons MPG Running Average MPG

12/27/2005 184 New - supposedly with a full tank 1/3/2006 575 14.46 27.04 27.04 1/7/2006 903 11.16 29.39 28.06 1/15/2006 1312 15.14 27.01 27.67 1/26/2006 1727 15.43 26.90 27.46 2/5/2006 2156 14.85 28.89 27.76 2/11/2006 2482 12.61 25.85 27.47 2/22/2006 2903 15.42 27.30 27.45
Reply to
Matt Whiting