Air Bag problem

My 2005 Elantra with 86,000 miles is showing the air bag light on. It just showed up yesterday. With the passenger side empty the light comes on. With a person on the seat with the seat belt on the light still stays on. The light comes on and stays on when the engine is started. I searched the web for info on this and came up with a lot of expensive fixes. On easy explanation was that possibly a wire was loose under the passenger seat or the sensor in the seat was bad. Today I reached under the passenger seat and started moving and shaking wires to see if there could be a loose wire. Sure enough the light did not com on when I started the car. My question is: With 86,000 miles is this covered under the 100,000 mile warrantee or would it have been under the 60,000 and expired? There have been some recalls on the 05 Elantra for air bags but I am not sure if this is part of the recall. I have not checked with the dealer yet but will do so in the future after feedback from the group. Any idea where the connector to the seat sensor is/ how to access it/diagrams etc. Is the sensor tied into the seat belt? Any feed back or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance, Bob

Reply to
bobotis

Maybe you got lucky and that is all that is needed is to push a connector tighter. Could be a dirty/corroded connection.

It is not part of the power train so it won't be covered.

5-YEAR / 60,000-MILE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Do you have a free account on

? Follow the instructions, download the SVG viewer from Adobe and you will probably find what you want to see.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My experience with the air bag lite is that once it comes on, the only way to get it off is for the dealer shop to turn it off with the scan tool. This is the case even when I was able to find the bad connector and re connect it. And yes its also connected to the seat belt. I was working on the seat belt when I activated the lite.

Reply to
Partner

Perhaps some clarification is needed. I took the post from bobotis to mean the light that comes on to signal the passenger seat is empty. The light that Partner is talking about is the one in the instrument cluster that signifies a problem with the airbags in general. Is it posible the first can be easily fixed while the other needs the scan tool?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had similar or same problem with my 2005 Sonata.. light comes on that there is a problem with the airbag. Went to an local garage (not Hyundai) and he put a tester in and said that it indikated a fault in the seatbelt. He said that the cause of that would for 99% would be overloaded connecter under the seat (passender seat by the way). He said that Peugeot cars has the same problem (here in Europe) and that the fix is to loose the connecter all together which he did. He said that if I would have gone to a Hyundai shop that they would have replaced the hole seatbelt. By the way.. I take my Sonata to Hyundai shop for regular services and have no complaints at all.. well.. except one.. they have not been able to repair the missfire in the engine. Replaced the ignition cables but that only helped for maybe 1 month or so.. and I am affraid of the cost if they have to dig deeper into the engine and maybe still not solve the problem. Anyway.. just wanted to share my experience with the airbag indicator... and remember.. when the indicator is on, none of the airbags works.. according to the guy at the local garage.

"Ed Pawlowski" skrev i meddelelsen news:XvednW7-AZ0NHGHWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
Brian Bergmann