Air Conditioning Reliability

The AC compressor started leaking on my '03 Santa Fe and had to be replaced. The vehicle only has 149,000 miles on it. Guess by American car standards that is pretty good.

KWW

I have a 2002 Santa Fe with 114,000 miles on it , and have not had any problems with the a/c . I guess its just luck of the draw. I hope you were treated honestly on the diagnosis .

Reply to
ilbebauck

snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Fortunately I found a trustworthy dealer/service department. I brought it in after the it would no longer cool down (Texas winters have some days where it is warm) and I caught it early enough that only the compressor had to be replaced. We expect to drive the car for at least another 60k miles if not longer... until it starts to fall apart.

KWW

I plan to drive mine for many hundreds of thousands of miles , hopefully. And i dont mind putting a few hundred into it here and there. I think Hyundai has GREATLY improved since the late '80's .

Reply to
ilbebauck

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

I think it is more or less typical for modern cars from all manufacturers to have A/C systems that standup for years.

It took my 1992 F150 13 years before it need a recharge. It didn't have as many miles as your Santa Fe, but then the truck sat for months at a time with little or no use, which might actually have been harder on the A/C seals that actually using it. My 1997 Expediton never had an A/C problem, but then I only kept it for 150,000 miles. As best I can remember, the only vehicle that I have owned in the last 20 years that needed an A/C recharge was the '92 F150. A/C system are a lot better than they used to be. I imagine your Santa Fe uses an A/C compressor manufactured by one of the same companies that the major Japanese and American companies use.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White