Air Conditioning Reliability

The AC compressor started leaking on my '03 Santa Fe and had to be replaced. The vehicle only has 149,000 miles on it. Guess by American car standards that is pretty good.
--- Posted via

t.net ---
I have a 2002 Santa Fe with 114,000 miles on it , and have not had any problems with the a/c . I guess its just luck of the draw. I hope you were treated honestly on the diagnosis .

t.net ---
I plan to drive mine for many hundreds of thousands of miles , hopefully. And i dont mind putting a few hundred into it here and there. I think Hyundai has GREATLY improved since the late '80's .

My 02 Sonata GLS started leaking some time between Fall of 09 and Summer of 2010. Had my mechanic use some of the regular sealer coolant stuff the first time and it lasted for about a year. Fall of 2010 to Summer of 2011 the same thing happened and he used some expensive premium coolant sealer stuff and it's been holding ever since. I just used it today and it's still blowing cold air. He showed me the leak one time before and said it's typical that the tiny o-rings get brittle and crack and rather than replace a .50 cent o-ring, you have to replace the whole A/C pump. Sucks. I'll keep using the expensive sealer stuff until I have to buy a new A/C pump.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

I think it is more or less typical for modern cars from all manufacturers to have A/C systems that standup for years.
It took my 1992 F150 13 years before it need a recharge. It didn't have as many miles as your Santa Fe, but then the truck sat for months at a time with little or no use, which might actually have been harder on the A/C seals that actually using it. My 1997 Expediton never had an A/C problem, but then I only kept it for 150,000 miles. As best I can remember, the only vehicle that I have owned in the last 20 years that needed an A/C recharge was the '92 F150. A/C system are a lot better than they used to be. I imagine your Santa Fe uses an A/C compressor manufactured by one of the same companies that the major Japanese and American companies use.
Ed