Any ideas on getting oil filter off?

Page 1 of 2
2014 Hyundai Elantra GT. Still has factory filter (tight....duh). I DO have a couple of those straight up filter wrenches but still can't seem to get it off. Are there any tricks out there, or any specific
tools that should work? Thanks for any ideas. For the record, I removed half of the plastic cowling to make it a little easier, but it didn't help.

By straight up filter wrench do you mean the type that grabs the bottom like a socket? That is what I'd use along with a long bar. Strap wrenches usually do the job too.

If you use a strap wrench, position it as close as possible to the base of the filter to avoid crushing the filter as you tighten the strap.
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 09:58:34 -0400, "Bob Bailin"

I will look into using a strap wrench, I am not sure if there is enough side clearance to even use one....but I'll check.

I have this: http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-63600.aspx As well as this one: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
The second one would work fine if the filter were not factory tight. The socket type you speak of, I'm assuming you meant the cap kind would work if I bought the one for the specific Hyundai original filter....but then it wouldn't work on other brands because they have to fit exact. I have to check if there is enough room for the strap type, I have to look. I probably will just let my mechanic do it for me, I'm sure I can do it myself after it's done once. It's too bad there is just know way to get a good sized pair of plyers around it, but no room. I have the exact same issue with my wife's 2014 Accent so whatever filter wrench works will get plenty of use.
Thanks
On 8/15/2015 12:22 PM, jtees4 wrote:

These days I find it easier to extract $33 from my wallet than to crawl under a car.
If you damage the filter housing so bad that it leaks you will also have a tow cost to get the car to a shop. If it is that tight, let the pro do it.

I'm going away for a few days, then I want to try one more time. If it doesn't come right off I will certainoly go to the mechanic....I'm due for an inspection soon anyway. Thanks.
On 08/15/15 12:22, jtees4 wrote:

There is your problem, NONE of these tools work. Get the right one like this set: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-end-cap-oil-filter-wrenches-94096.html
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:28:36 -0400, Vic RR Garcia

I have used them in the past, with a different car. My issue with them is sometimes they fit differently depending on the brand of filter as they sometimees differ in shape a bit....but for $6.99 it's probably worth a shot, I do have a Harbor Freight nearby. I tend to buy different brand filters over time. Thanks.
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:28:36 -0400, Vic RR Garcia

Just letting you know, I DID buy the Harborfreight set today....I'll let you know how it works out, but I won't get to it for at least a week.
On 08/23/15 20:37, jtees4 wrote:

Take your time, it's still too hot to get out to work under the hood. Mine works great on both the Santa Fe (2003), and the Tucson (2013).
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:28:36 -0400, Vic RR Garcia

WORKED LIKE A CHARM! Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried many wrenches and even some of the cap types....but the Harbor Freight one gripped much better and worked with two different shaped filters. Now I can use it on my wife's car also, which uses the same filter. Hers has never been changed either as we bought both cars in the same month last year. Thanks again.
On 08/29/15 12:17, jtees4 wrote:

You are welcome. I had the same problem before, grab those just for the cheap price ... they worked !!!!!
jtees4 wrote:

The best bet is to buy the exact size end wrench. If you are going to do work yourself, you need to invest in quality tools that fit the job. If you aren't willing to do that, then better to take your car to a professional for service.
Having said that, I have a 3 jaw wrench somewhat like the second one you show above. Mine looks a little beefier than yours and it will remove anything. You have to hold the jaws in place until they get a good grip on the filter, but once they do they will crush into the metal filter and the more torque you apply the tighter they will get.

Would love to know which one you have?
jtees4 wrote:

I don't remember. I've had it well over 20 years. I think I bought it at Central Tractor before they went out of business.
On 8/14/2015 8:50 AM, jtees4 wrote:

Have you tried turning counter-clockwise? ;)
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 16:22:21 -1000, dsi1

LOL Yeah, pretty sure I did. I've been doing this for forty years. First change is always a problem, but normally I just use a large pair of pliers the first change....but there is no room to do that unfortuantely.
On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 3:18:36 AM UTC-10, jtees4 wrote:

I feel your pain. I hate when filters get stuck. I'll only tighten it a lit tle more than half a turn but the dang thing won't budge. This blows all my plans to shit. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago so I had to go to plan B - add three quarts of oil and change it in a couple of months. Next time, I'll have a filter wrench ready. ;)

Exactly what I did....I changed the oil in June....haven't put much miles on it....but it bothers me that I didn't change the filter. I knew I needed to get an inspection in Septemeber so I figured I'd let the mechanic do it....but I want to try once more to ease my mind. Actually my wife and I bought two cars the same month (Elantra GT and Accent 5 door)....and both have the exact same issue. So any tool I buy will be used for both cars. It's like a defeat if I let the mechanic do it, because these days there is so little I can do on cars....basically oil and disc brakes....that's about it.