Any ideas on getting oil filter off?

2014 Hyundai Elantra GT. Still has factory filter (tight....duh). I DO have a couple of those straight up filter wrenches but still can't seem to get it off. Are there any tricks out there, or any specific tools that should work? Thanks for any ideas. For the record, I removed half of the plastic cowling to make it a little easier, but it didn't help.
Reply to
jtees4

By straight up filter wrench do you mean the type that grabs the bottom like a socket? That is what I'd use along with a long bar. Strap wrenches usually do the job too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you use a strap wrench, position it as close as possible to the base of the filter to avoid crushing the filter as you tighten the strap.

Reply to
Bob Bailin

I have this:

As well as this one:
The second one would work fine if the filter were not factory tight. The socket type you speak of, I'm assuming you meant the cap kind would work if I bought the one for the specific Hyundai original filter....but then it wouldn't work on other brands because they have to fit exact. I have to check if there is enough room for the strap type, I have to look. I probably will just let my mechanic do it for me, I'm sure I can do it myself after it's done once. It's too bad there is just know way to get a good sized pair of plyers around it, but no room. I have the exact same issue with my wife's 2014 Accent so whatever filter wrench works will get plenty of use.

Thanks

Reply to
jtees4

I will look into using a strap wrench, I am not sure if there is enough side clearance to even use one....but I'll check.

Reply to
jtees4

These days I find it easier to extract $33 from my wallet than to crawl under a car.

If you damage the filter housing so bad that it leaks you will also have a tow cost to get the car to a shop. If it is that tight, let the pro do it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is your problem, NONE of these tools work. Get the right one like this set:

Vic RR Garcia

The best bet is to buy the exact size end wrench. If you are going to do work yourself, you need to invest in quality tools that fit the job. If you aren't willing to do that, then better to take your car to a professional for service.

Having said that, I have a 3 jaw wrench somewhat like the second one you show above. Mine looks a little beefier than yours and it will remove anything. You have to hold the jaws in place until they get a good grip on the filter, but once they do they will crush into the metal filter and the more torque you apply the tighter they will get.

Reply to
Voyager

Have you tried turning counter-clockwise? ;)

Reply to
dsi1

I have used them in the past, with a different car. My issue with them is sometimes they fit differently depending on the brand of filter as they sometimees differ in shape a bit....but for $6.99 it's probably worth a shot, I do have a Harbor Freight nearby. I tend to buy different brand filters over time. Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

I'm going away for a few days, then I want to try one more time. If it doesn't come right off I will certainoly go to the mechanic....I'm due for an inspection soon anyway. Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

Would love to know which one you have?

Reply to
jtees4

LOL Yeah, pretty sure I did. I've been doing this for forty years. First change is always a problem, but normally I just use a large pair of pliers the first change....but there is no room to do that unfortuantely.

Reply to
jtees4

I don't remember. I've had it well over 20 years. I think I bought it at Central Tractor before they went out of business.

Reply to
Voyager

I feel your pain. I hate when filters get stuck. I'll only tighten it a lit tle more than half a turn but the dang thing won't budge. This blows all my plans to shit. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago so I had to go to plan B - add three quarts of oil and change it in a couple of months. Next time, I'll have a filter wrench ready. ;)

Reply to
dsi1

little more than half a turn but the dang thing won't budge. This blows all my plans to shit. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago so I had to go to plan B - add three quarts of oil and change it in a couple of months. N ext time, I'll have a filter wrench ready. ;)

That's what some people did back in the old days - change the filter every other oil change. Maybe they still do that. What I'd like to see is a car w ith a filter right at the top of the engine for easy changing. The sump wou ld hold 10 quarts of synthetic oil. You change out the filter every 3 or 4 months and the oil once a year. I think that would work out pretty good.

OTOH, in the near future, the cars will be powered by electric motors and w e'll never have to change oil again. Hoo boy!

Reply to
dsi1

Exactly what I did....I changed the oil in June....haven't put much miles on it....but it bothers me that I didn't change the filter. I knew I needed to get an inspection in Septemeber so I figured I'd let the mechanic do it....but I want to try once more to ease my mind. Actually my wife and I bought two cars the same month (Elantra GT and Accent 5 door)....and both have the exact same issue. So any tool I buy will be used for both cars. It's like a defeat if I let the mechanic do it, because these days there is so little I can do on cars....basically oil and disc brakes....that's about it.

Reply to
jtees4

My Sonata V-6 had the filter on top. Can't say it was much easier as you had to remove a shroud to get to it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My Sonata had a replaceable filter element. You would change the element and some o-rings. It was kind of a weird thing to do.

My VW has a filter that will spill oil when you unscrew it. The recommendation is to place a baggie around the filter to catch the oil as you take it off. It's kind of a nasty thing to do.

Reply to
dsi1

Yeah, I knew people who did that....the filter really is not needed every change, especially if it's being done at 3-4K which I still normally do (old habits die hard). My first car was a 1970 Ford XL which I got in 77 (think LTD with fast back roof kinda). The engine bay was so big and so empty without any emissions crap....it wouldn't matter where the filter was...I could pretty much climb into the engine bay and get to it. And the trunk was massive. In fact I could lay across the seats without touching either door (OK, I'm only 5'6" but still can't do that today).

Reply to
jtees4