Any ideas on getting oil filter off?

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 10:59:37 AM UTC-10, jtees4 wrote:

my plans to shit. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago so I had to go to plan B - add three quarts of oil and change it in a couple of months. N ext time, I'll have a filter wrench ready. ;)

That's what some people did back in the old days - change the filter every other oil change. Maybe they still do that. What I'd like to see is a car w ith a filter right at the top of the engine for easy changing. The sump wou ld hold 10 quarts of synthetic oil. You change out the filter every 3 or 4 months and the oil once a year. I think that would work out pretty good.
OTOH, in the near future, the cars will be powered by electric motors and w e'll never have to change oil again. Hoo boy!
On 8/18/2015 5:25 PM, dsi1 wrote:

My Sonata V-6 had the filter on top. Can't say it was much easier as you had to remove a shroud to get to it.
On 8/18/2015 2:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My Sonata had a replaceable filter element. You would change the element and some o-rings. It was kind of a weird thing to do.
My VW has a filter that will spill oil when you unscrew it. The recommendation is to place a baggie around the filter to catch the oil as you take it off. It's kind of a nasty thing to do.

Yeah, I knew people who did that....the filter really is not needed every change, especially if it's being done at 3-4K which I still normally do (old habits die hard). My first car was a 1970 Ford XL which I got in 77 (think LTD with fast back roof kinda). The engine bay was so big and so empty without any emissions crap....it wouldn't matter where the filter was...I could pretty much climb into the engine bay and get to it. And the trunk was massive. In fact I could lay across the seats without touching either door (OK, I'm only 5'6" but still can't do that today).
On 8/19/2015 4:13 AM, jtees4 wrote:

My car is a VW turbo so I'm fearful of not changing the oil filter. The VW engineers would probably be horrified at my treating their car this way. They are very particular and peculiar people. The say absolutely no regular clamps on the vacuum lines! I have no idea what would happen if I did. I'm guessing that the headliner would fall and the doors would refuse to open - at least that's what's happening with my Passat. Hee hee.