Are the valves on a 2001 Accent GL 1.6 DOHC adjustable?

My SO's niece dropped her car off while they're on a week cruse to Alaska and I heard valve noise when she drove up,

Just found a reference to hmaservice from a reply by hyundaitech so I'll check there too

Apparently they are not adjustable.

What's advisable from here....add some "snake oil" or replace the lifter?

192K on the engine
Reply to
popstar

I haven't had one of the newer Accent engines apart in quite awhile. Any I've encountered recently which had lifter noise also had a very low oil level. Correcting the oil level and driving also corrected the lifter noise.

If you're looking for a cheap fix, try the snake oil. But more likely (especially if oil changes have been lacking), there's an oil blockage somewhere. Could be an obstructed screen or passage in the head.

Reply to
hyundaitech

You're right, as always. Did an oil change as she said it's been a while and drained out at the most 1.5 quarts Sounds a lot better now I could hear the lifters clicking from 200 feet away when she drove up. She gets a lecture when she gets home Thanks for the reply Everyone here owes you mega-applause for all your insights P.S.

Reply to
popstar

Hyundaitech, is this another example of not using the special Hyundai oil filter with the anti-drain back valve? For the Sonata, which I have, I read that not using the correct filter causes valve noise at start up. Luckily, they only cost about $5 each but now my dealer closed so I may have to mail order.

I haven't had one of the newer Accent engines apart in quite awhile. Any I've encountered recently which had lifter noise also had a very low oil level. Correcting the oil level and driving also corrected the lifter noise.

If you're looking for a cheap fix, try the snake oil. But more likely (especially if oil changes have been lacking), there's an oil blockage somewhere. Could be an obstructed screen or passage in the head.

Reply to
631grant

No. According to the original poster's reply, the oil level was very low. Accordingly, the hydraulic lifters had insufficient oil pressure to keep them extended.

Reply to
hyundaitech