atf

Can I use ATF +3 in 1999 Elantra?

Could you explain why please? I thought it was mandated that all transmission fluids be compatable.
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:44:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (RSCamaro) wrote:

Nope. ATFs were never compatible and it seems like they are becoming LESS compatible. Best to use what the manufacturer requires, unless your tranny is out of warranty.     S25
trade168 wrote:

For an excellent overview as to why, and some good insight regarding ATFs in general, please start reading at page 24 of the current (June) edition of Lubes'N'Greases at the link below.
Regards,
Paul
http://mag1.olivesoftware.com/am/welcome/LNG/LNG-2005-06.asp
Paul Frankfurter wrote:

Castrol told me a month or so ago that they've come out with an ATF that's suitable for Hyundais (and at least one Japanese brand, too). It probably hasn't made its way into the parts stores yet, although it is in stock at some BP stations (who bought Castrol).
Transmissions and fluids can be very specific to one another. This is certainly true of Fords -- my late departed Aerostar among them. I believe that Ford had come out with more stringent fluid requirements, even for older vehicles. There were a lot of stories about Aerostars being driven onto the rack for a fluid change, and being unable to drive off the rack after the job.
Richard
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:44:24 GMT, Paul Frankfurter
        <snip>

Paul: Nice info link!! Thanks.     S25