Attention Sonata Owners

Here's maybe a "heads up" for you. I had my '08 Elantra down to my dealer today for an oil change and tire rotation. While walking around waiting for
my car to be done I saw two front end sub-frames leaning against the outside of the building. Both were almost completely rusted thru in the same exact spot. The service manager was walking by and I asked him what model Hyundai they came off of and he said they were from Sonata's. Evidentally the factory forgot to put a drain hole on that one side (passenger side I believe). These frames were so bad I would not want to have been driving the car they came from and hit a major pot hole. Looks to me like they would have snapped in two. The manager said they were just about to start a recall. Unfortunately I forgot to ask him what year models were involved. If you have a Sonata I suggest you crawl underneath and check the front subframe in the area of the upper and lower control arms.

The Sonata had a major revision in the 2006 model. Do you know what year was affected? Korea or US built?

More info here:
http://tinyurl.com/dmx4mg
jc wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm glad my 2006 is safe from this particular recall.
Matt
Looks like my XG300 is on the list and this is a car I want to give to my daughter. Thanks jc and Mike.
Alan

FYI, I called Hyundai Customer Assistance yesterday and the rep said that the recall notices for the affected Sonatas and XGs will start going out at the end of June. She also indicated that they would be sending the notices in waves so as not to overwhelm the dealers.
John

I'm pretty sure the affected model years are 99-04. There are two recalls in place for this problem.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Numerous models and years. Already posted here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/browse_thread/thread/8491f66930f986e7