ATTN: Hyundai tech - 2003 Tiburon clutch question

I have a 2003 Tiburon and the clutch is starting to slip.

If I don't downshift when trying to accelerate up a hill in fourth or fifth as highway speed, for example, I can hear/feel the clutch slipping. I'm not aware of it at any other time. My base model 4-banger has about 96,000 miles on it. Is this something that can be adjusted or is it more serious. I have 100k bumper-to-bumper and -- because of the truth in advertising horsepower thing -- 120k powertrain coverage. What to do?

I love the car, btw. We're a three-Hyundai family with a 2002 Elantra and a 2005 Sonata in addition to the 2003 Tiburon. Great cars, all of them!

Thanks,

Erik

Reply to
Erik Unhjem

At that mileage, the clutch disk is probably worn out. Clutch wear is not a warranty item.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Thanks. That's pretty much as I expected. I can't complain though... I've had only three repairs and one tune in those 96k miles. My original tires lasted 87k and still had miles on them when I replaced them. Love that car!

Reply to
Erik Unhjem

I'll reply since you've requested, but Brian's pretty much correct here. If it's simply worn out, it's not covered. Nothing to adjust.

Reply to
hyundaitech

A slipping clutch at that mileage could also be due to oil contamination from a failed rear main seal. This might be covered under warranty.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

If you're the original owner, you'd have a shot if the rear main were leaking, but my experience is that a leaking rear main rarely gets all the way around to the other side of the flywheel and gets onto the clutch. I have seen leaking input shaft seals do it.

The thing that really makes me happy is that seal and gasket leakage on Hyundai is mostly a thing of the past. Back in the day, these things were leak machines. I'd be afraid of replacing a timing belt without replacing all the cam, crank, and any other front engine seals for fear that even if they weren't leaking, they'd likely leak soon and damage the new belt. Now, I hardly ever replace these seals, and I hardly ever see one leak under 100k.

Reply to
hyundaitech