attn Hyundaitech: Change Spark Plugs on 02 Sonata GLS

I was digging around HMAService site trying to see where they're located but I wasn't able to find any diagrams or schematics. Are they a pain in the butt to change? Any plug brand recommendations outside those listed on HMA's site (NGK, Champion)? Thanks.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

The plugs are located in the holes in the center of the valve cover. If you have a four cylinder, this is a simple job. If you have a V6, it'll require removing the intake plenum.

I like NGK and Denso. Champion, not so much.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for your response. I was going to go with the NGKs since they were the OEM ones and priced well. I was digging around HMAservice.com and couldn't find the detail of getting at the intake plenum and related spark plugs. Do you know if this is published there, or elsewhere perhaps?

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

Join the club.. I find HMAService of little use (unless there is some trick to using it's search feature that I am unaware of - I pretty much get zero hits, no matter what term I search for, and even though I search the whole site).

I am looking for this same information for the 2000 sonata v6, and had equally poor luck with HMAService.

me

Reply to
jusme

You guys have discovered what I discovered years ago-- it's difficult to find things in the Hyundai manuals. I'm much better at it now that I'm accustomed to the "Korean" thinking and organization system.

I looked in the shop manual for a 2002 Sonata (EF) 2.7 V6. In the engine mechanical section, go to "intake and exhaust," "intake manifold," and "removal." Still, you'll need to do some of your own analysis, as you won't need to remove the entire intake manifold, just the intake plenum.

On the other hand, in the 2000 Sonata (EF) 2.5 V6 Manual, you can go to the "Surge Tank" section after choosing "intake and exhaust," and there's a section for removing the surge tank alone. The engine is externally the same as the 2.7, so these instruction should also apply for the 2002.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks much for taking the time to break it down for me. I was a bit confused but I wasn't too far off in the section. I'll give it a whirl then. Many thanks.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

those listed on HMA's site (NGK, Champion)? Thanks. > > - Thee Chicago Wolf

I gave up on the Hyundai website and bought the service manual for around $100. It is probably worth it for the convenience.

My questions is: Where is a good place to buy the NGK plugs for 2002 Sonata? The lowest price I can find is around $12.00 per plug.

Reply to
southluke

I managed to buy a set of 6 for $9 each on eBay. Plus shipping, it was a decent deal.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf