Attn HyundaiTech: TPMS light comes on and radio shuts off on 2013 Elantra GLS

HT,
At about 300 miles on my new 2013 Elantra GLS, the TPMS light came on twice and my radio shut off both times. I went to the dealer and he went into the fuse box and said something was loose and pushed it in.
TPMS light went and radio came back on. The other night I was driving home and TPMS light came on and radio shut off again. This is now at 980 miles. All tires are at around 33PSI cold and there is no leak. The radio was off the whole drive home and the TPMS light was on solid the whole drive home. This morning I drove to work and the TPMS light was off and radio worked. Since this has happened 3 times, I am starting to wonder about how smart it was for Hyundai to make the radio and the TPMS on the same circuit or whatever. It's more than annoying to lose my radio just because the TPMS light comes on. Any idea what this could be? Anything I could look at in the fuse box?
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
It's not so much that a failure in the TPMS will take out the radio, becaus e that'd be almost impossible. It is the case, however, that memory power is provided to both the radio and the TPMS system via the same fuse.
Your car has a sophisticated system for depowering items after the car isn' t used for certain periods of time, and it may be that system that is malfu nctioning. If you pull the fuse box cover, you'll see a switch that reads "on" and "off". The switch should be in the "on" position.
Realistically, I cannot think of any normal reason for this to occur while you're driving the car, no matter the position of the switch. It'd be my suspicion that the smart junction block (fuse box) has an internal issue ca using this circuit to be depowered. I've replaced a couple for this or sim ilar issues, but that was 1.5 to 2 years ago. Regardless, this is just a g uess. Your servicing dealer is in a much better position to determine the cause than I am.
On Friday, May 17, 2013 10:39:27 AM UTC-4, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:

HT,
Thanks much for the response. I'll take a peek at the switch to make sure it is in the ON position. I don't see any recalls for this issue but if it happens again, I'll let the dealership deal with it. Seems something is wonky.

that'd be almost impossible. It is the case, however, that memory power is provided to both the radio and the TPMS system via the same fuse.

used for certain periods of time, and it may be that system that is malfunctioning. If you pull the fuse box cover, you'll see a switch that reads "on" and "off". The switch should be in the "on" position.

you're driving the car, no matter the position of the switch. It'd be my suspicion that the smart junction block (fuse box) has an internal issue causing this circuit to be depowered. I've replaced a couple for this or similar issues, but that was 1.5 to 2 years ago. Regardless, this is just a guess. Your servicing dealer is in a much better position to determine the cause than I am.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
HGT,
This weekend I pulled off the fuse panel and took a look at that ON/OFF switch. On first inspection, it looked very clearly in the ON position. However, I noticed it had about 1-2mm of travel left toward the ON position. Meaning, it was in the ON position but the ON/OFF slider could go down a tad bit farther. So, I pushed it down all the way to the bottom and additional 1-2mm. Perhaps it was in the ON position but just not all the way down and this was the culprit. I'll have to wait and see now.

that'd be almost impossible. It is the case, however, that memory power is provided to both the radio and the TPMS system via the same fuse.

used for certain periods of time, and it may be that system that is malfunctioning. If you pull the fuse box cover, you'll see a switch that reads "on" and "off". The switch should be in the "on" position.

you're driving the car, no matter the position of the switch. It'd be my suspicion that the smart junction block (fuse box) has an internal issue causing this circuit to be depowered. I've replaced a couple for this or similar issues, but that was 1.5 to 2 years ago. Regardless, this is just a guess. Your servicing dealer is in a much better position to determine the cause than I am.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
On Monday, May 20, 2013 9:52:43 AM UTC-4, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:

Good catch. I'm interested in whether this is all it was.

Hopefully that's all it was. I'll update this thread if it comes back.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Well, 1600 miles later, the light has not come on again. Looks like that was what it was. Info worth passing along.

Well, 7400 miles later and it still hasn't come on. Just following up on my previous message to confirm the problem was solved by pushing the switch fully down.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Hyundaitech knows far more of your real problem than I'd venture to guess so I'm not touching that aspect of things.
I've heard of many people (all brands of cars) having the TPMS light come on as soon as the weather gets cold or on a chilly morning. Mine came on a couple of times when it got cold too, but adding just a half pound of pressure seemed to cure that aspect.
If the light comes on even after the radio problem is fixed, try a psssst of air in each tire and see if that works.
With my last car, the light came on a second time and it annoyed me, but the tire shop pulled a 4" nail out of it.