Auto Headlights

I have posted before about the fact that my 07 Sonata headlights do not come on early enough when it gets dark. I will often turn them on myself when I
think about it. The other day a local Smokey followed me into a shopping center parking lot to tell me that I should turn my headlights on. He was polite but I told him that I had auto headlights and that they will eventually come on. He said I should get them fixed, I thanked him and he drove off. I think that I recall HyundaiTech saying that they are not adjustable. I am seriously considering putting some black tape over the sensor to see if it helps make them turn on sooner. Has anyone else had this problem and what if anything did you do?

I agree, they often come on later than I'd do myself, or later than my GM cars.
Black tape though will keep them on all the time unless you can block just a portion of the sensor. Ideal would be a translucent gray material that just darkened a smidgen.
I do like the fact they are quick to come on when entering a tunnel or under a long bridge. I do not, however, like them coming on, then off, then on, then off as you go along a road with a lot of trees. There are times they go one or off every 15 to 20 seconds as the light changes. This is more in early morning than at dusk. They need to do a little work on the sensors and a delay before they go off again.
It world also be simple to have them go on whenever the wipers are turned on also. Many (most? all?) states require that headlights be on when wipers are on.
I tried the black tape on my 07 Santa Fe, but I could notice no difference.
Jim (Drives with lights on all the time now).

You could try some tint over the sensor to see what happens. Unfortunately, this could also affect the automatic climate control system.
Another option is to just leave your headlamps on at all times. Removing the key and opening the driver's door will cause the lamps to go out.

My 2006 Sonata is very accurate with the headlights, but my 2007 Entourage is the exact opposite. The headlights come on if a cloud passes overhead. And they don't "click" like the Sonata does. There are times on one of the highways around here with multiple over passes that on a bright, sunny day, my headlights probably come on a dozen times before I realize it.
Eric
Thanks hyundaitech, That's a good idea, I will try a piece of tint film. I don't have the auto control system.
--

"hyundaitech" < snipped-for-privacy@not.public.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

I had this old Polara that had a device on the dash call a manual headlight switch. When the sensor in my brain detected a low light situation it activated a robotic like device called "my arm and hand" which operated said switch with a grasp and draw type motion- all of which resulted in the energizing of the H/L circuit causing an greatly increased illumination scenario. Kind of high tech, but it worked. I think current cars can be retrofitted with a similar functionality as long as a working sensor can be obtained. <grin>

Don't be foolish. I had such a system and it was downright dangerous. I was driving on the turnpike and went into a dark tunnel. Suddenly dark, I had to stop shaving and I spilled hot coffee in my crotch trying to get the lights on and even lost my page in the magazine I was reading. Auto headlights is a life saving device.
wrote in message

Fortunately, you weren't wearing your seat belt at the time so you were able to minimize your burns by being able to move in your seat, to get off the puddle of hot coffee. Imagine what would have happened if you'd been restrained in that seat!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

After I read what Darby OGill posted I couldn't wait to scroll down to read the responses. I knew I won't be disapointed. You guys are a riot! Anyway I stick to what hyundaitech advised & leave my headlight on always. The only problem is don't forget to open the driver's door & remove the key from ignition. Once I had forgotten to roll up a window & opened the passenger door to turn on the ignition & roll the window. I found out the next morning that the parking light stayed on the whole night since I didn't open the driver's door after removing the key. I ended up having to jump start the car :(

Bruised my steering knee jumping though