Automatic Seems To Shift Itself--What Is It Doing?

Maybe it's chip/computer is acclimating/adjusting itself to a different driver's style of driving?

I'll be driving steadily our automatic on a highway trip, and it occasionally seems to shift itself.

Is such normal? It doesn't worry me with extended service contract.

Approx 50,000 mileage, 2003 Elantra.

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Yes, that is why they call them "automatic", they shift themselves.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Sounds like the Torque Convertor locking up. Many people refer to this as the overdrive. You should also feel it when you give it more gas or go up a sight hill. The RPM's will jump about 500. If you didn't have the transmission flushed at 30k it would be wise to do this ASAP. Some people say the trans shifting will get more noticable as the fluid gets old. And make sure you only have it changed at the Hyundai dealer and make sure they are using the SP III fluid only.

Reply to
1
1:

"Sounds like the Torque Convertor locking up. Many people refer to this

as the overdrive. You should also feel it when you give it more gas or go up a sight hill. The RPM's will jump about 500. If you didn't have the transmission flushed at 30k it would be wise to do this ASAP. Some people say the trans shifting will get more noticable as the fluid gets old. And make sure you only have it changed at the Hyundai dealer and make sure they are using the SP III fluid only."

Reply:

I'm recall manual overdrives in some 1950s vehicles.

We've been doing whatever the Elantra owners manual requires

re: specifically, change/flush of the transmission fluid

I think it was done, and will now follow-up with specific inquiry at dealer which would be in their computer records too.

THANKS

Reply to
Robert Cohen

SMART ASSED answers ALLWAYS help DONT THEY !!!!!!!

Reply to
Tunez

Yes, when an ambiguous question is asked. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
Jody

Unfortunately, going to the Hyundai dealer means nothing as far as them using the proper fluid. The dealer I bought my Sonata from does not use SP III. They use some BG magic synthetic fits-all.

Reply to
Bob

Gotta say, if I'd gotten here first, I'd have been tempted to post something similar. There's no way from the information given in the post to get any idea of what the car is actually doing and under what conditions. Reminds me of the time a customer brought in her Hyundai Scoupe with the complaint "tach goes up and down while driving." Near as we were able to figure, the customer thought it should remain steady like the speedometer.

Reply to
hyundaitech