Awful mileage w/2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2004 Santa Fe LX with the 3.5L V6 back in November. I've got about 4400 miles on it and I am quite disappointed in the mileage I am getting, which has been 14 city and 18 highway. The sticker claimed it would get 17/21. I know that stickers lie but I didn't think it would be this bad. The 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4L V6 that I traded in got better mileage.

I've done some searching on this group to try and get some idea of whether or not this is normal but there aren't many postings about the

3.5L engine. So I'm putting it out there now to get opinions, experience, etc.

Thanks for any responses!!

Babunga

seemore_babunga

Krazy Kanuck

Reply to
Jody

No such thing. There's not a country in the world where they exist anymore. They're as extinct as the dinosaur so why mention them?

To view the day to day life of a loser go here.

Jim Vatunz

Reply to
Striker

You should see a better mileage after about 6000 miles

Reply to
Zotto

....I mention them because even though we use litres in Canada, everyone still talks about "mileage" and so I use a spreadsheet program that will convert for litres, US gallons or imperial.....

Reply to
Krazy Kanuck

The santa fe weighs four hundred pounds more than the jeep cherokee and the engine is tuned tighter on the santa fe (you?ll get more power, but you?ll have to rev it higher than you used to with the cherokee). It?s also wider and taller, and not as high off the ground, all of which increase drag.

Drive at the speed limit, don?t use the brakes and accelerate gently, and your fuel economy will increase.

Oh, and not buying an SUV will help.

Reply to
Balfa

"Balfa" wrote: > [quote:261e6ecd61="seemore_babunga"]The 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee > with a 4L V6 that I traded in got better > mileage.[/quote:261e6ecd61] > > The santa fe weighs four hundred pounds more than the jeep > cherokee and the engine is tuned tighter on the santa fe > (you'll get more power, but you'll have to rev it higher than > you used to with the cherokee). It's also wider and taller, > and not as high off the ground, all of which increase drag. > > Drive at the speed limit, don't use the brakes and accelerate > gently, and your fuel economy will increase. > > Oh, and not buying an SUV will help.

They?re used in the UK. Anyway, what does it matter to you what unit someone chooses to use?

Reply to
Balfa

OK, that explains how you are doing it. However since you are doing this to use for comparison purposes wouldn't it make more sense to convert to what everyone else is using?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I'm getting about 16 with mixed suburban/highway driving with my 2005 LX. I was a bit disappointed as well but then realized it was still better than the mini-van it replaced.

I've only put 2500 miles on it so far and no real highway trips so I'm hoping it does better on the open road. Others have indicated it might do better after 10K miles or so, too.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I've read something about this in another forum. Apparently the Santa Fe's have some kind of strange 'break-in' period for mileage, althought there's not science behind it.

Well thanks to everyone for your input!

Reply to
seemore_babunga

Reply to
Striker

That's exactly what happened with my 2004 Sonata LX 2.7 V6. I thought the explanation from the service manager when I was concerned early on about my mileage was absolute B.S., but it proved to be correct. My mielage did, indeed adjust upwards just as advised. Weird.

Reply to
Centella Cajon

Excellent points. One question though, is anyone able to accelerate gently with these cars??? I test drove both the 2.7L and the 3.5L several times and was surprised that the accelerators are extremely touchy when moving from a standing position. I have to warn people who drive my car about this.

Just curious....

Reply to
seemore_babunga

Reply to