Axles/CV joint repair/replacement on '03 Santa Fe

I have an '03 Santa Fe with 150,000 miles on it and the CV boots are not yet torn but have a deep groove in them (getting ready to tear). a) It is a 2WD, Automatic with the 2.7L V6.
b) Is there a different part if it is an automatic vs a manual? c) I am 99% sure it does not have ABS. If it did would the joints be different? d) Is there a difference between base model, GLS, and LX?
Somebody thought that the ABS versions had a cogged ring around the hub-side CV, but on my car the passenger side has that while the drive's side does not.
Is there a benefit to getting these rebooted (even with 150k miles)? I was thinking getting new out CVs would be wise.
What makes genuine Hyundai units better than after market ones? A Hyundai dealer elsewhere said they sell after market remanufactured units instead of new ones and they work just fine.
The local big chain auto parts store has new Chinese axles with "lifetime warranties" for $60 each. I could go with rAxles.com and get rebuilts with new CVs for under $180/each. One local Huyndai dealer quoted me $90 each for their remanufactured after market axles. My local Hyundai dealer charted something around $230/side to reboot the axles if they removed them. Not sure what it would be if I brought them in.
Any thoughts on after market stuff? With 150k miles wouldn't the CVs be getting worn?
KWW
--- Posted via
I suppose if something has a "lifetime" warranty its worth a try but I,ve tried various chinese parts on my old Vw,s/hyundai,s/vans but the quality is rubbish. . It takes me about 3 hours to change driveshafts, not a big deal but not something I want to do every day either. All the CV,s I,ve replaced had about 225k km on them which is about 150k miles. Probably wise to do joints as well. The remanufactured at $90 sounds reasonable( chinese joints though?).
---
On 1/25/2012 7:47 PM, John wrote:

t.net ---
There's little reason a joint should fail if the boot is replaced prior to dirt intrusion. I'd only recommend a low-cost replacement (have had some good ones and some bad ones) if it costs less than replacing the boot.