Axles/CV joint repair/replacement on '03 Santa Fe

I have an '03 Santa Fe with 150,000 miles on it and the CV boots are not yet torn but have a deep groove in them (getting ready to tear). a) It is a 2WD, Automatic with the 2.7L V6. b) Is there a different part if it is an automatic vs a manual? c) I am 99% sure it does not have ABS. If it did would the joints be different? d) Is there a difference between base model, GLS, and LX?

Somebody thought that the ABS versions had a cogged ring around the hub-side CV, but on my car the passenger side has that while the drive's side does not.

Is there a benefit to getting these rebooted (even with 150k miles)? I was thinking getting new out CVs would be wise.

What makes genuine Hyundai units better than after market ones? A Hyundai dealer elsewhere said they sell after market remanufactured units instead of new ones and they work just fine.

The local big chain auto parts store has new Chinese axles with "lifetime warranties" for $60 each. I could go with rAxles.com and get rebuilts with new CVs for under $180/each. One local Huyndai dealer quoted me $90 each for their remanufactured after market axles. My local Hyundai dealer charted something around $230/side to reboot the axles if they removed them. Not sure what it would be if I brought them in.

Any thoughts on after market stuff? With 150k miles wouldn't the CVs be getting worn?

KWW

KWW

John

Thanks. The $90/each rebuilt ones sold by one dealer are also Chinese after-market. The only one with parts known to not be iffy would be the US part rAxles or the Hyundai rebuilt ones which I found out would be $280 each (vs new for almost $500). I agree that I don't want to be replacing them later... or have it fail on the road during a long trip and be forced into a very expensive option (with no tools of my own).

KWW

There's little reason a joint should fail if the boot is replaced prior to dirt intrusion. I'd only recommend a low-cost replacement (have had some good ones and some bad ones) if it costs less than replacing the boot.

Reply to
hyundaitech

snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Thanks. Yep, getting the boot replaced is about $230/side (dealer labor) while the low cost axles are around $60 each (parts which I replace). I don't have the experience or clean facilities to replace the

1-piece boots myself. I would have to clean the axle shaft, take it apart somehow so I could slide the new boot on, and then pack the grease. Also, with 150,000 miles on the existing CVs they are probably getting worn.

KWW