B1 S2 Slow Response o2 sensor - 2002 Elantra

Check engine light went on and the results from the scan was B1 S2 Slow response. Looked this up on Google and it usually mean there is an exhaust leak coming from the flex pipe. I placed a rag at the end of the tailpipe to
restrict exhaust flow and sure enough exhaust was leaking from the end of the flex pipe towards the rear of the vehicle.
Cleared the code and the check engine light remained off for about 2 weeks. I have cleared it again and it has not come back on since.
Can this be fixed with a simple weld as the cost of replacing this pipe is astronomical because a catalytic converter is also attached to this assembly. The underhood emissions sticker says I have California emissions although I purchase the vehicle new in MA. Car currently has 89000 miles on the odometer.

As the leak is typically in the flexible section of the pipe, you won't readily be able to weld shut what's there. What you can do, however, is weld a new flexible section into the existing pipe. Places like Meineke/Midas/Monro should be willing and able to do this for you.
The advantage of this is that the cost is much less than the cost of replacing the flexpipe with converter.
The disadvantage is that the replacement flexible section will most likely not be made of the stainless steel that the original section was made of, resulting in a much higher failure frequency. So you may need to do this repair every year or two, depending on your driving habits.
Consider how long you're planning on keeping the car and how many times you can replace the flex portion before you've reached the cost of replacing the entire thing.
Thanks for the information.
Could you explain how my driving habits could accelerate the deterioration of the flex pipe?
Paul
wrote:

As the leak is typically in the flexible section of the pipe, you won't readily be able to weld shut what's there. What you can do, however, is weld a new flexible section into the existing pipe. Places like Meineke/Midas/Monro should be willing and able to do this for you.
The advantage of this is that the cost is much less than the cost of replacing the flexpipe with converter.
The disadvantage is that the replacement flexible section will most likely not be made of the stainless steel that the original section was made of, resulting in a much higher failure frequency. So you may need to do this repair every year or two, depending on your driving habits.
Consider how long you're planning on keeping the car and how many times you can replace the flex portion before you've reached the cost of replacing the entire thing.

If you hit rocks fording a creek. If you're drunk and keep driving into the ditch things on the underside can get damaged. Or if you run moonshine on the back roads You haul a lot of concrete block Chase stray cattle during a roundup
Any one will eventually do damage, but two guarantees it.

burned off. that piece of steel would rust quite quickly.
our hyundai accent(2004)went thru 2 flex pipes after the original went. short commutes in our warm/cold enviroment and salt on our roadsath to unprotected steel. jeff

Exactly. Thanks, Jeff.
Thanks for the responses. Had a new flex pipe welded on Monday. Cost was $110 plus tax.
Check engine light has remained off and the readiness bits shows "passed". All emissions systems have been checked and have passed the on board check.
Thanks for

Exactly. Thanks, Jeff.