Battery - Alternator - ETAC?

Wondering if anyone else was having these or similar issues surrounding the ETAC unit?

Chronology of events with electrical on 2002 Hyundai XG 350L

  1. June 2006 - Car begins to stall and lose power. Bought a new battery and took it to Hyundai dealership in Ft. Walton Beach.

  1. June 2006 - Hyundai dealer indicates that the alternator needs replacing and performs service for 0.00

  2. June 06 - Sept 07 Car is driven very rarely - less than 1000 miles a year but throughout we find we need to keep the car on a car charger. Our thoughts were the battery was just going dead due to not be driven often. We sell vehicle which brings our attention back to using the Hyundai more often.

  1. September 2007 We end up switching out the battery at the place we purchased it as it was under the two year free replacement. When putting it back in the car we notice the following items not working:

a. Drivers power seat is not working but the heater indicates it works b. Drivers door counsel with buttons for power windows, door locks, window lock out and side view mirrors does not work. c. All other door windows work via their respective buttons. d. Key fob does not open doors nor lock e. On the drivers door however, the memory seat function lights up as well as the door light at the bottom. The switches for the gas tank and the rear trunk work though.

  1. September 2007 We take vehicle into Hyundai in Ft. Walton with suspicion that a ground is bad due to the various items in one location. They call back with it being the ETAC unit being bad. The cost is approx. 0.00 to fix. We have them move forward but call as well into Hyundai USA Customer Hotline 1-800-633-5151 ext. 54234 and speak with Angie about inquiry into a recall due to research online indicates that this problem has been identified with others in similar order of events. She gives me a case number of 1076038 and asks that once the work is complete that we forward our findings to Hyundai for investigation.

If you have had similiar issues please let me know. Also I would suggest documenting your findings and forwarding such to Hyundai in the event this could be determined to be a recall item.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
ufmbagrad

I don't recall ever needing to replace an ETACM on an XG. I'm sure it happens from time to time, as does just about every problem, but having never seen a failure, I'm hard pressed to think there's a significant enough quantity of bad units that would warrant a recall.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Where did you buy the battery? and was it a Hyundai or an aftermarket battery? My battery is 5 years old and I don't want to wait until I am on the road. I want an aftermarket one if I can get it. What auto parts stores carry them for Hyundai? I know that the dealer will want a fortune for a battery. I found out that Wal-Mart nor Sam's club carry batteries for my XG350.

Thanks

Reply to
What

Just buy the battery at Wal-Mart. There are only about three manufacturers of batteries, an chasing around trying to compare the differences is a waste of time. Get the size and CCA that you need/want (I'm one of those who buys heavier due to the nature of our winters), and the price you like, and then be comfortable that any other battery would have been essentially the same thing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow