Battery cable loose

I have a 2008 Sonata. I removed the cables from the battery to charge it, after the battery went dead. The battery is not the original.

When I went to re-install the positive cable, I found that cannot get the clamp to stay on the post. There is a plastic shield that goes under the clamp, to probably protect it from corrosion.

With this shield in place, I cannot get the clamp to sit low enough on the post, to get it to stay in place. Is there a way to get a good connection while continuing to use this shield?

Thanks,

KM

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

after the battery went dead. The battery is not the original.

clamp to stay on the post. There is a plastic shield that goes under the clamp, to probably protect it from corrosion.

post, to get it to stay in place. Is there a way to get a good connection while continuing to use this shield?

Turns out that there are *battery post shims* just for this purpose. I got a pair at the parts store. I will give them a try.

KM

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Interesting! Thanks for the update.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

They worked perfectly. The clamps are now tight, and I can't wiggle them loose.

KM

Reply to
Kirk Matheson