Brake clip bad?

I had my brakes done and my PS Flushed at Mr Tire today and when I got to the shop they told me my front right stuck alittle bit because the clip was going bad. He said it was no big deal but he said it would not be covered by warranty and would cost him 100 to do. Not sure what in the world they could be referring to that would cause the brakes to stick. Any ideas? BTW its a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD.

Reply to
Matthew Rebbert

I think he's referring to the brake caliper. It would be covered for 5 years/60k miles if defective. My experience is that most places that say calipers are sticking either don't know what they're talking about or don't know how to service them properly (i.e. lubricate the slides when replacing the brake pads).

In my opinion aftermarket brake chains sell calipers under the guise of sticking because the pads on one side wear a little more than the other. Unless there's a significant wear difference, the difference in probably normal. My experience with the Santa Fe is that the left front seems to wear a little quicker than the right front-- and I would think it's a vehicle design characteristic, because almost all I've seen are this way.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sounds good to me, I just wanted to make sure it would not become an issue. Thanks HyundaiTech.

Reply to
Matthew Rebbert

You forgot to mention that selling calipers and rotors when they're not necessary is a "classic" scam in the brake business. There's even a name for it, though it escapes me at the moment. There are MANY unscrupulous people in the undercar care industry. I worked for one for a while (not doing undercar work) and I saw firsthand how the mechanics were trained and incentivised (through commissions on their work) to screw customers. Our advertized $49 "brake jobs" routinely turned into $400-$600 of unnecessary work. I've had shops try to pull the same crap on me and on my 70 year old mother. Sounds like a good case for capital punishment. ;-)

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Your brake clip is not bad, the problem is in the slider pin (most likely the botttom pin), hyundai will tell you the entire caliper must be replaced (this is the only way you can get the pins), but you can remove the pin (unscrews), clean the caliper hole with a gun barrel cleaning brush and some brake cleaner, and clean the pin with emory cloth then lube both with brake lubricating grease and reassemble. problem solved. P.S. you will probably need to change the pads if one side is worn low.

Reply to
Russell Goodman