Brake Rotor/Caliper problems....HELP

I do not want to ask stupid questions but I have one that might be. I am trying to take the front rotors off my 01 Santa Fe. My first problem is that the bolts holding the caliper on seem to be seized up. It is still righty tighty lefty loosey right? I didn?t know if maybe they had reverse threads and I am just making it worse. Also, the bolts in the center of the rotors, what are those for? I broke one off trying to take them out. Does anyone know where I can get replacement ones if I need them?

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone has.

Reply to
tm

Yes.

I didn?t know if

No.

They hold the rotor in place during factory assembly, but they almost always break off when you try to loosen them and they're not necessary.

You haven't reached the most fun part of the process yet, which is getting the rotors off the hubs. They will most likely be rusted in place and the best way to remove them is to cut them off. Make a couple of cuts on opposite sides using a hacksaw or reciprocating saw, then split the rotor with a chisel or large screwdriver driven into the saw cuts. Once split, they'll come easily. Clean up the hubs, install the new rotors, reassemble the brakes and you're done.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom