brake squeal question

I've noticed a brake squeal in the rear of my 2000 Sonata but it only seems to happen the first couple of times applying the brakes after the car has been sitting. After driving for a while, the squeal is not there. The brakes seem to work fine as well.

I'm taking the car in to have it checked just in case but I wanted an opinion as to whether or not the brakes need maintenance or replacing or if there is something else like dirt build up that might be the culprit in this case, since its only when the brakes are applied for the first or second time after starting.

Reply to
hickorysticks

That's not uncommon at all - with all sorts of cars. A small amount of oxidation occurs if the car sits for a couple or few days. It takes a small amount of driving and/or use of the brakes to re-establish a clean pan-to-rotor contact. As well, a harder, longer life brake pad will tend to squeal a bit like this. It's a small price that you pay for longer life out of your pads. Sometimes applying a small amount of grease on the back of the pads will make squeaky brakes stop this and sometimes a thin mylar shim will do the same. It's nothing to be concerned for, but it is common to disk brakes.

If you're taking your car in somewhere to have this checked, then make sure it is to a mechanic that you know you can trust. This is the kind of "problem" that is easily capitalized on by less scrupulous shops and chains in order to hand you a $600 bill (or more) for a brake job - that may or may not be necessary.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for your reply Mike. I will mention these things first to my mechanic. He is a family friend and we've been going to him for many years so I have no worries about getting anything but the truth from him. Thanks for the advice. Jeremy

Reply to
hickorysticks

Thanks for your reply Mike. I will mention these things first to my mechanic. He is a family friend and we've been going to him for many years so I have no worries about getting anything but the truth from him. Thanks for the advice. Jeremy

Reply to
hickorysticks

Thanks for your reply Mike. I will mention these things first to my mechanic. He is a family friend and we've been going to him for many years so I have no worries about getting anything but the truth from him. Thanks for the advice. Jeremy

Reply to
hickorysticks

I've seen this mostly on cars with rear drum brakes (that'd mean you have a

4 cylinder). The dust builds up in the rear brake drums and overnight collects moisture. This tends to cause squealing on the first few stops until the brakes are heated enought to evaporate the moisture.
Reply to
hyundaitech

always use ORIGINAL Hyundai Pads, & don't forget the grease like Mike mentioned.

my 98 sonata has the same squeal at first (rear drums, 4 cycl), then it quiets after driving around for one or two blocks. What I do sometimes is hold the parking/emergency brake while im backing away from the driveway (roughly 15 -30 ft. 5-10m) this usually stops the noise when I put it in Drive. I add just enough pressure, nothing harsh or push on the accelerator...at idle speed, or about 900-1000 rpms. Caution though, I'm cant say Id recommend this, its an old (bad?) habit ive been doing if the brakes ever seem to squeal.

HT, what do you think? is this a bad habit/idea??

"hyundaitech" > I've seen this mostly on cars with rear drum brakes (that'd mean you have a

Reply to
news

Applying your parking brake when unnecessary in the situation you describe is only bad in the sense that it will wear your rear brake shoes. Otherwise, you're not going fast enough or leaving the brake on long enough to cause any sort of overheating issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech