Brakes (03 sonata)

Every now and then when I am almost at a complete stop, I hear a sort of like grinding or rubbing sound coming from my front brakes. This does not
happen all the time. I started last night after driving around town for 1 hour. Prior, I did not hear that sound for about a month ago. I am sure I am nearing to get brakes on my car. I have an 03 Sonata VL with 66,500. The brakes our the original since I purchased the car brand new back in August of 03. As I posted before, I am on a fixed income. With that said, can someone suggest to me where I should bring my car to get new brakes at a decent price? How much should I be looking at to have new brakes put on? I understand that prices very depending where one lives in the US. I reside in Connecticut. I was thinking about bringing the car to Midas, Monroe, Sears, or the dealer. Any suggestions? To update my last post about my ac needing to be charged, come to find out that my ac was working fine. It just so happened to be the hottest and very humid day of the season thus far. It was just hard to cool down the car then most other hot days here in New England. I want to thank all those who answered my post about the ac concern. Hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July weekend.
sonata32 wrote:

With that many miles, it is likely that your front brakes are completely shot and the backing plate may be hitting the rotor. If that is the case, then you are likely looking at needing rotors in addition to brake pads. I don't know prices in your area, but where I live this would be in the $150-200 range. If you need pads only, then it should be $100 or less.
I personally would avoid the shops like Midas, Monro, Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. I'd go either to a Hyundai dealer or a good independent shop with the owner's name on the sign.
Hopefully, your rotors have been badly scored, but if they have, chalk this up as an important lesson. Preventive maintenance is almost always cheaper than running things to failure, especially if the failure involves taking out parts that otherwise wouldn't require replacement.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

brake screech, then 6 months later had to go to Hyundai dealer.
BWS
Bryan wrote:

You went to the Jiffylube of brake service (Sears) and they screwed up... So now everybody except the Hyundai dealer can't do brakes?
Sounds like Sears shafted you with some junk parts. Hyundai's original pads are very good but they're by no means special - I'm fairly certain that Hyundai doesn't even make their own brake pads. As for the mechanic's desire to do a good job - thats only dictated by the mechanic himself. I've had entirely shoddy work done at a Hyundai dealership, I've also had plenty of good work done there... Same goes for most other mechanic shops. "Specialty" shops (jiffylube, midas, sears tire/brake/battery shops, etc) generally don't hire mechanics, they hire folks to do specific tasks without much understanding of how to really do the job - they just swap parts for a living... This is fine if its batteries, wiper blades, tires, and oil (although we've all heard about the untorqued drainplugs)... but nothing else.
If you ever get a wheel alignment done by one of these types you're in for a real fun time :)
JS
I am going to make an appointment at the dealer for my brakes. I clipped out a coupon from their website. Its a free brake inspection if I get a tire rotation for 19.95. When I called I asked the service rep what do brakes start at for my car. He said 540.00-950.00 for parts and labor. I am sort of floored! Is it cheaper to buy the parts online and have them use them? Any suggestions?

WOWOOWOWW Move to Vegas, we have some new places here called " Brakes Only " They do nothing but brakes and do all 4 wheels including Pads ( or shoes ) and turn all 4 rotors or drums all for $99.00 !!!
I would never take my car to a place like that but doesnt it seem that about the only major differance should be the labor ?? as you can buy a set of really good pads almost anyplace for under $20.00
Tunez

Good luck actually getting a $99 brake job out of them.
JS
Tunez wrote:

Yes regularly pads are about 20-30$ a piece. The way Sonata works is that you can only replace the front pads (the dealer can resurface the front roters). The back you have to replace roters as well. If you catch the wear on time then it is not that expensive.
"JS" wrote: > Good luck actually getting a $99 brake job out of them. > > JS > > Tunez wrote: > > WOWOOWOWW Move to Vegas, we have some new places here called > " Brakes Only " > > They do nothing but brakes and do all 4 wheels including > Pads ( or shoes ) > > and turn all 4 rotors or drums all for $99.00 !!! > > > > I would never take my car to a place like that but doesnt it > seem that about > > the only major differance should be the labor ?? as you can > buy a set of > > really good pads almost anyplace for under $20.00 > > > > Tunez > > > > > >
I was in a similar situation just today. My car is Sonata03 bought in June03-34,000 miles. I drive mainly in Boston. The grinding sound is from the break pad being completely worn off. It happened on my rear break. The cost to replace-repair varies 425-1000$. The first price estimate includes: resurfacing front roters, new front break pads, replacing back roters, new rear break pads and labor (done by huyndai dealer). Second price (at a local auro mechanics place) included front roters, back roters, break pads front and back, rear calipers (dont know what that is) and labor. I checked and it is not covered under the warranty since it is a wear of the car. Good luck.
"sonata32" wrote: > Every now and then when I am almost at a complete stop, I hear > a sort of > like grinding or rubbing sound coming from my front brakes. > This does not > happen all the time. I started last night after driving around > town for 1 > hour. Prior, I did not hear that sound for about a month ago. > I am sure I am > nearing to get brakes on my car. I have an 03 Sonata VL with > 66,500. The > brakes our the original since I purchased the car brand new > back in August > of 03. As I posted before, I am on a fixed income. With that > said, can > someone suggest to me where I should bring my car to get new > brakes at a > decent price? How much should I be looking at to have new > brakes put on? I > understand that prices very depending where one lives in the > US. I reside in > Connecticut. I was thinking about bringing the car to Midas, > Monroe, Sears, > or the dealer. Any suggestions? To update my last post about > my ac needing > to be charged, come to find out that my ac was working fine. > It just so > happened to be the hottest and very humid day of the season > thus far. It was > just hard to cool down the car then most other hot days here > in New England. > I want to thank all those who answered my post about the ac > concern. Hope > everyone is enjoying their 4th of July weekend.